Aurora (Atlantis)1/48 M-46 Patton

Ron Bell

Remember these? This the the dawn of armor modeling in the 50's. Aurora had a series  of 1/48 tank kits that included the Stalin III and Churchill, which wouldn't be modeled in any scale for literally decades. This is the Atlantis re-release of the M-46 Patton. It's actually the second re-release as Aurora modified it's original molds to more closely represent an M-46 and not an M-26 Pershing. The detail is on the sparse side and the turret MG is cartoonish, but over all it does look like a Patton. Fit is horrendous and there was lots of flash and mold seams. But with work, it looks presentable.  This is OOTB (I did drill out the gun barrels and had to retexture the turret after I fixed the huge top/bottom seam) built as a pressure reliever for a larger project I was in the midst of. The paint color was MM Green Drab, but with weathering and washes, it looks more brown than green. 

IMG_20200321_080803.jpg

IMG_20200321_080751.jpg

IMG_20200321_080817.jpg

IMG_20200321_080826.jpg

• Like 1

I'm really dating myself but I remember building the Patton and the Stalin III. At that stage of my modelling I thought these were really great kits. I think the next stage was the Renwal and Revell 1/40th scale armour.

Bob Walker IMPS 17121

I built the Stalin III long ago and it now exists only as a few remaining bogies in a scrap box. I still have the un-built Aurora M-46 and instructions in storage as it was purchased long before information was readily available.

Thanks for the reminder..........I'll need to visit the First Division Museum to take photos after the Covid 19 emergency ends and the museum re-opens.

BTW.............very nice work on that old kit  !

M-46 Patton First Division Museum

Edited by cheveuxroux
hyperlink insert

Nice job!  This is the Aurora kit that got me hooked on Armor MANY Christmas' ago.   The neat part was the included base.

AUroraSHerm.jpg