Photography at Nationals.

I just go a new camera and was thinking of volunteering for the photographing crew in San Marcos.  Before I went to all that trouble I thought I would ask what format the contest prefers and how they want to download them.  I have a new Sony Alpha 7II and wanted to practice before hand if they accept me as a volunteer. 

I headed this last year.  The preferred format is JPG.  Size is not as important as they will be resized before uploading to the website.  Size only becomes an issue in how long it takes to transfer the files from you to me.  Most cameras now use SanDisk cards but I have a multi-card reader if you have something offbeat.  We usually determine a time and place to meet to transfer what you have to date and one to two meetings usually covers it.

Rick Jackson

5 hours ago, RJackson said:

I headed this last year.  The preferred format is JPG.  Size is not as important as they will be resized before uploading to the website.  Size only becomes an issue in how long it takes to transfer the files from you to me.  Most cameras now use SanDisk cards but I have a multi-card reader if you have something offbeat.  We usually determine a time and place to meet to transfer what you have to date and one to two meetings usually covers it.

Rick Jackson

Thanks Rick.  My camera uses an SDXC card and I think I will get a separate one for the event.  Other than that, nothing here I didn't expect.  I assume that you have a tally sheet to match photo numbers to model numbers?  

Oh and by the way, how does one go about volunteering for this.  My preference would be to assigned to category V(automotive) but if I volunteer will go where needed.  Thanks for the reply.

Pete

Until I or someone is 'officially' in charge, you just need to keep your offer out there.  Last time we did have people focusing on particular categories but I also took whatever they shot and were willing to share.  This is especially important if a category is not picked up by someone.  Everyone's contribution goes into those.

No tally sheet is used since we have no need to match up photos like they do for the awards program.

Rick

Ok Rick,  I will keep the offer open and am still trying to get setup to go.  I have a couple of health issues that should be resolved soon that have nothing to do with the current pandemic, but we will see.  Hope to see you there.

• 2 months later...

After conversing with Eric, the job is mine.

So, this is a general call for volunteers to help takes pictures for the website gallery.  If you are interested but aren't quite sure what you are signing up for, look in the Events Gallery and then in the IPMS/USA Nationals gallery for examples of what has been done before.

Like I said above, people will focus on the one or two classes that most interest them.  For those classes that don't have someone assigned to them I'll take examples from all of the photographers and compile them.  We'll try to meet once or twice during the convention to do a data transfer of what you have.  I'll then format them and upload them onto the web site.

It's not terribly structured and is really just to give those who can't attend a chance to see what was there.  

6 hours ago, RJackson said:

So, this is a general call for volunteers to help takes pictures for the website gallery.  If you are interested but aren't quite sure what you are signing up for, look in the Events Gallery and then in the IPMS/USA Nationals gallery for examples of what has been done before.

Like I said above, people will focus on the one or two classes that most interest them.  For those classes that don't have someone assigned to them I'll take examples from all of the photographers and compile them.  We'll try to meet once or twice during the convention to do a data transfer of what you have.  I'll then format them and upload them onto the web site.

It's not terribly structured and is really just to give those who can't attend a chance to see what was there.  

Rick, thanks for getting back to me.  Unfortunately I will not be attending San Marcos.  3 heart procedures since the start of this covid-19 thing would seem to make it prudent to not travel.😷 I am looking forward to volunteering for Las Vegas.  I should have a year of practice with the camera by then.😁

On 6/12/2020 at 5:19 PM, RJackson said:

Greetings Rick

Have volunteered for the last few years as Photographer . Offer is out there for this year also. Requested Catagorys are SCI-Fi and Juniors

Cheers

Bill D

On 6/14/2020 at 8:53 AM, wdedig said:

Greetings Rick

Have volunteered for the last few years as Photographer . Offer is out there for this year also. Requested Catagorys are SCI-Fi and Juniors

Cheers

Bill D

They're yours.