2020 Convention Items Now On-Sale

The 2020 convention items are now up and for sale on the IPMS web store. They can be accessed via the various pages of the convention website - www.nats2020.com - or directly via

https://www.shopipmsusa.org/category-s/106.htm.

Convention pre-registration will stay active and accessible via these web links until the 16th of June at a price of $55 for adults. After that registrations may be purchased on-site at the convention at a cost of $65 (for adults).

While the planning committee is keeping a close eye on the COVID-19 situation across the country and especially here in Texas we are continuing planning for the convention.

As usual, please send any questions to me at director.nats2020@gmail.com.

Contact registrar.nats2020@gmail.com. Provide the name as you wish it to read on the Name Badge.

Or at the convention when you check in inform the volunteer that you wish to have a Name Badge for your wife, and provide the name as you wish it to appear. A Name Badge can be printed out for you onsite.

12 hours ago, MRechlicz said:

Just registered for the convention and trip to San Antonio. I could not order the t-shirt.

There seems to be an issue and thanks for reporting it. Tech Support has been notified.

And a report has arrived that states the issue has been fixed.

Edited by Dick Montgomery

One comment I would add that this point is that the event is in San Marcos, Texas. We recommend that you fly into Austin. The convention is providing sprinter vans to transport attendees from the Austin airport to San Marcos.

Take a look at Google Maps.  If you are driving in from the north there is a toll road that bypasses Austin. It's marked as "130". Traffic in Austin can be time consuming and frustrating, so if you don't mind paying out some money, "130" will avoid that traffic. The posted speed limit for much of "130" is 80mph. One does not stop at toll booths but do expect a bill in the mail, you'll notice the overhead cameras taking a picture of your license plates.

Georgetown to San Marcos.jpg

6 hours ago, EFGrune said:

Hey I really like these rodeo belt buckle style awards for category and best-of awards.

category_award.png

I like them too.  But I am upset that when I went to the sponsorship page the Best Of awards were obscenely priced.  I see that you are trying to target corporate sponsors, but why price out the chapters?  The least expensive award is twice what we budgeted.

Edited by RJackson

Thanks Ed!  We hope that all IPMS members who are winners at this year's Nats will appreciate the uniquely Texan theme of our awards this year.

The total budget to put on our national convention is a rather large sum, as you might expect.  The trophy costs are not an insignificant part of that sum.  In an effort to be fiscally responsible in putting the event together, we decided to try to offset the cost of the category packages that go unsponsored every year.  Rather than shoring up the cost of the category awards sponsorships (by some 30-35%) to cover the unsold categories, we tied the cost of the average number of unsponsored categories to the Best of Class awards to do our best at securing 100% funding of the awards packages.  We hoped that this approach would keep the category sponsorships more affordable to IPMS members and Chapters.

We have received several sponsorship requests for various things from firms and individuals within the hobby industry.  We wanted to offer the Best Of awards to these folks to accommodate that and balance our awards costs.  I have an email prepared to go out to all our vendors and a select industry contact list tomorrow.  If the response is what we hope for, I would encourage you to put your budget towards supporting several categories within the class you wished to sponsor.  You are welcome to contact me if, as a chapter or an individual, you want to sponsor a Best of Class package after June 1, and I’ll be happy to discuss it at that time.

Edited by highflight
grammar

3 hours ago, WarthoMKL said:

I am going to be driving a hire car as traveling from UK to Austin on the Monday (Or that is plan) any idea how the toll

works for hire cars?

Ta

I did a little googling and found this:" In most cases, your tolls and service fees will be charged to the credit card used to rent the vehicle. Most rental car agencies use third-party companies to manage toll charges for their vehicles, including Rent-A-Toll, Highway Toll Administration, and PlatePass. If you expect to travel on a toll road, ask your rental car agency ahead of time for their policies and procedures for collecting tolls. Fees and other policies vary from one rental agency to another."

To see more go to https://www.txtag.org/en/about/faq_rental.shtml 

Also, if you are flying into Austin from the UK you may be better off just going to the convention site on Interstate 35 South. The airport is on the south side of Austin and the traffic is usually not as bad at that point.

Mike...on the Nats 2020 website is a list of all the categories for this year's contest: http://www.nats2020.com/contest_pages/categories.html.

This coming week I will be adding a column where we will list who is sponsoring what category (those that have come in so far) so folks can see as the sponsorships fill up. For now, pick your top three and in the web store item for the category sponsorships is a text box where you can list these top three choices. The first one that isn't already taken will be the one you get. If there is a conflict, our awards coordinator, Rob Booth, will be in touch with you. I realize the sooner I get the list up on the web page, the easier it will be to avoid conflicts. I assure you it is on my short list of things to get done in the coming days.

-Len

• 3 weeks later...