Estate kits available

SSI01

My recently-deceased veteran son was an avid model builder and upon his demise in November, 2019 left us with 94 model aircraft kits, and 51 automotive kits (he liked muscle cars).  We've completed all necessary notifications to creditors etc, and probate will not be an issue so we are now free to move these kits to whoever is interested in them.  The aircraft kits run the gamut from WW2 to late current aircraft; he also obviously intended to build different versions of some of the aircraft since he has two, three, or four kits of the same  aircraft with pertinent decal sheets.  I used to do a lot of this myself but an essential tremor plus lack of space in our home precludes me from taking over his efforts.  I'd hate to toss them into a dumpster - some of them have Squadron/Signal books illustrating various versions of the aircraft he was intent on building.

I would like to know if anyone is interested in these kits and books as well.  PS he has a considerable amount of paint of various colors we need to move as well.

We are about an hour's drive from Jacksonville, FL as re: our location.

Michael,

First, my condolences for your loss.  Having to dispose of things that he loved has to be especially difficult.

As to the models, I would be interested in at least a few of the aircraft, depending on subject, scale and price.  Do you have or will you be developing a list?  I agree that the kits need to go to a good home instead of the nearest dumpster. 

Richard Marmo
IPMS/USA #2

My condolences as well on your loss. If you wish to get help in disposing of all his old models and supplies to new homes, I recommend contacting the guys at the Jacksonville IPMS club. They could probably help you with pricing, moving and or vending everything so that they all get to people who will enjoy them.

A list would be great as well, so others here could peruse what's available.

Thanks to you both.  I've got a list and will dig it up.  He was serious about this, bought in some cases three or four of each kit and got decal sheets for them plus SSP's "Walk Around" for the aircraft plus "detail and scale" materials as well.  Some of these boxes contain two or three kits, anyone looking through them will recognize if there is enough available to work with and do a proper job.  I did a lot of this myself and got up to about 700 or so before I gave them to a museum as they were becoming too much to move.  Never went back to it and I couldn't do his stuff justice at my age.  

He didn't do the same for the car kits but that's another matter, I suppose.

How do I go about contacting the Jax IMPS branch?

Michael,

I converted your list to a Word doc and attached it here.  I'll send a copy to your email so you can make changes.  If you like, you can let me know what changes need to be made and I'll update the list and repost for you.  Hope this helps.

Richard

MODEL INDEX.doc

Sir,  Many thanks for that quick action.  Only thing I'd add is the roughly 70 Testor's glass bottled paint jars, w/brushes, I forgot to include when I drew up the list.  After inserting that feel free to post.

And thank you again

Michael S.

• 2 months later...

The coronavirus stuff threw a monkey wrench into this, along with many other things.  I am going to come back up here to see if anyone is interested in these kits and supplies. I'm not interested in selling them just need them out as they are blocking us from some improvements we are finally able to make around here.  Seeing as how this has become a giveaway hopefully some people will become interested or know someone who might be.   The list in one of the above posts has not changed and covers everything.

Michael,

If the Corona Virus isn't bad enough, throw in a traffic accident that's forcing my wife and I to replace an older car than we're very fond of.  Believe me, I know what you're up against.  Since your situation has become a giveaway, I would take a good number off your hands unless you want everything to go to one place.  Of course I would pay for shipping.  Let me know.

Michael, I would love to take the Testor's paints and brushes off your hands. Let me know how much postage would be and I'll send that to you. I'll PM you with my details, if they haven't already been claimed.

Michael,

I have Pm'ed you a list of the kits I would like to have.  Please let me know which ones from that list are available or that you are willing to ship to me. Of course I will be happy to pay all shipping charges.  For the record, I'm in Fort Worth, Texas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.  I met w/Gil yesterday up here in GA and handed over EVERYTHING - and I mean EVERYTHING - to him (paints, Squadron/Signal books, extra decals, kits, etc).  I figured this was the easier way for my wife and I to handle this since he was VERY close to us geographically and could relieve us of all the goodies in one fell swoop, which he did.  He'll take another look at what he's got and be in touch w/everyone re: your wishes or what he plans to do.

I wanted to thank you all for giving my wife and I the opportunity to give Jeff's models, tools, and supplies to some folks who would properly appreciate them, care for them, and use them.  

Mike Stevenson 

• Like 1

Thanks, this will helpfully assist a lot of folks.

Please pass on to Gil a msg that the Corsair's prop is in the large box with the already-built models in it.  I forgot to lay that on him yesterday, we were in a bit of a rush.  He'll know what aircraft you're speaking of.  Thanks.

• Like 1

The generosity that Mike and his wife Margie has displayed is a loving tribute to their son Jeff. I can tell from the collection that Jeff was one of US....with an love of the hobby and the history the kits represent! Mike was himself a model builder and has builds on display at the Pima Air Museum!

We in IPMS First Coast will make a point to honor the Stevensons at our Jaxcon show, where Jeff's kits and books will be raffled off. They'll bring a lot of joy to many modelers in the future!

Gil :smiley16: