StugIII Ausf F8

BryanKrueger

My latest model depicts a StuG III Ausf F8 at Kharkov in the winter of 1943.

5438478586_e72799e67f_o.jpg

I started with the Dragon 6644 kit. A very nice representation from Dragon's hay day.

stug3f8_01.jpg

stug3f8_02.jpg

I started assembling the Voyager PE Fender set and after about 5 hours I only made it this far. That's enough. I'll stick with the kit fenders. Most reference photos of F8s during winter show fairly intact fenders.

too-old.jpg

Kharkov F8s were painted the Tropen 2 Scheme 8020/7027. They were intended for the Mediterranean conflict but were shipped to the eastern front. I've never painted this scheme before and its more complicated than I thought it would be to get the colors right. I found some recipes online but they looked off. I kept adjusting and after the third time I finally got it right.

stug3f8_03.jpg

stug3f8_04.jpg

To adjust the base color, I first applied a wash and filters. Next I used the hair spray technique to add the distressed white wash paint effect. Next I went back with AK Washable White to add some mapping. Over the white wash I applied a grey-brown wash and a very light blue-grey filter. Next I used Humbrol Enamel White to add additional mapping effects. Tracks have been given  couple of dark washes and polished with Uschi Steel.

stug3f8_05.jpg

stug3f8_06.jpg

stug3f8_07.jpg

stug3f8_08.jpg

I *think* it's done. It's a difficult finish to pull off. As I understand, these Stugs rolled off the rail cars and into the lines. There wasn't a lot of time to get banged around and missing fenders. The ice packed roads and snow covered landscape kept these pretty clean.  I think we are so use to seeing tank models covered in dust and mud.

stug3f8_09.jpg

stug3f8_10.jpg

stug3f8_11.jpg

stug3f8_12.jpg

stug3f8_13.jpg

stug3f8_14.jpg