1/72 Army Helicopters

mtncolonel

I am building a collection of 1/72 helicopters to show the development of US Army helicopters. I am looking for three models at this time - a Bell OH-58A Kiowa from the Vietnam era (I have the Italeri OH-58D which would require some kitbashing), a Bell AH-1G Cobra, also Vietnam era (I have the Hasegawa AH-1F models), and most of all, a Bell H13 Sioux (the Bell 47D model). I have all of these models in other scales, but I am looking for 1/72 scale for space concerns as a portable display. I would even accept die cast models, if they were close to 1/72 size.

I would appreciate it if someone has such models they are willing to sell or knows of a hobby supply that might have such models.

Pavla Models (Czech) makes a 1/72 Sioux. Lots of Photoetch stuff, vac-formed canopy, and somewhat heavy plastic casting.

Pavla Models (Czech) makes a 1/72 Sioux. Lots of Photoetch stuff, vac-formed canopy, and somewhat heavy plastic casting.

As does Italeri--or perhaps "did" is the right phrase, I haven't seen one in some time. Didn't they also do the earlier Kiowa, too?

Also, Monogram did the AH-1G years ago. They pop up from time to time at swap meets.

Ralph

Somebody does the Kiowa, too. Matchbox? Italeri?

Matchbox, but that was the later OH-58D with the enlarged doghouse. Italeri did the OH-58A, it is kit 195. Their kit 185 is the OH-58D, and kit 027 is the AH-58D (also Testors kit 637).

The OH-13S Sioux was done in 1/72 also by Italeri, their kit 085.

I haven't checked to see if any of these are still available, but the usual sources (Squadron, Sprue Brothers) would be a good place to start looking.

Ralph

I think the OH-13 Sioux's are still around, even if they are OOP. I built four of them so far. I may even have one or two still in the stash. Italeri did the early Kiowa's and I think I have built both the OH-58D and the AH-58D. I missed the OH-58A. Italeri also does the OH-6A and -D in 1/72 scale with parts for the MD-500. The Monogram is the only AH1G on the market in that scale. I believe it came in a kit of two because I have two sitting on my shelf.

Colonel I have all these built excpt the OH-58A so I hope I've been able to help. I can post pics if you'd like.

The Monogram Cobra was originally issued as a dual kit but was later released as a single kit. I built my copy a couple years ago for the Ft Douglas Museum here in Salt Lake.

Hueycobra1.jpg

Matchbox, but that was the later OH-58D with the enlarged doghouse. Italeri did the OH-58A, it is kit 195. Their kit 185 is the OH-58D, and kit 027 is the AH-58D (also Testors kit 637).

The OH-13S Sioux was done in 1/72 also by Italeri, their kit 085.

I haven't checked to see if any of these are still available, but the usual sources (Squadron, Sprue Brothers) would be a good place to start looking.

Ralph

Tamiya reboxes Italeri kits for the Japanese market. I have a Tamiya boxed OH-58A, but its all Italeri plastic inside.

You might try some of the Japanese based online sellers, like Lucky Model and Hobby Link Japan. Lucky Model had the "Tamiya" OH-58A when none of the US based shops had the Italeri kit.

Italeri did several versions of the Bell 47 in 1/72. Unfortunately they are getting hard to find even on ebay, I know because I've been after the USCG HTL-4 version myself for the past year.