Jump to content

1/48 Gloster Javelin FAW.9/9R


Recommended Posts

This build is the Airfix 1/48 Gloster Javelin FAW.9/9R. A few years ago I helped a gentleman who was doing 1/16 and 1/8 scale figures of fallen police officer with creating and scaling the patches and badges for all the uniforms so that decals could be made. I was able to get them scaled for both scales for him. A few weeks later a package arrived and it was this kit. The message inside was from him thanking me for all the work I helped him with on the patches and badges.

Fast forward to present day I decided to make this my next build. The aircraft even in 1/48 is huge. The details of this kit are great. The surface details are very crisp. I will also adding the Eduard photo etch detail set as well. Starting with the cockpit, I assembled and painted the seats then added the numerous photo etch details. The cockpit tub was painted and the photo etch was added. Everything fit very well.  The cockpit tub was then assembled to the forward section of the fuselage. Starting on the engines and main fuselage next.

You can follow the build at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-gloster-javelin/

 

dscn3238.jpg

 

dscn3248.jpg

 

dscn3251.jpg

 

dscn3253.jpg

 

dscn3254.jpg

 

dscn3258.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings

I also have this kit but not the stimulus to start. Look forward to watching your Progress. So-far So-Good.

Bill

Link to post
Share on other sites

The build of the Gloster Javelin is moving forward. I assembled the exhaust and then painted/weathered them. The center of the fuselage was then assembled and I started on the landing gear bays. The main bays looked a little too clean so using 32 awg wire and some scratch built plastic and metal pieces to represent the hydraulic cans. I used bare wire for the wiring and black sleeved wire for the hydraulic lines. The bays were then painted with aluminum and weathered with pastel chalk.

See my tips and tricks section on weathering with pastel chalk ]https://davidsscalemodels.com/tips-and-tricks/weathering-with-pastel-chalk/

Finally the wings were assembled and installed to the fuselage. Stay tuned for the building of the landing gear and the detailing of the fuselage.

 

See this build from the start in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-gloster-javelin/

 

dscn3261.jpg

 

dscn3266.jpg

 

dscn3270.jpg

 

dscn3272.jpg

 

dscn3278.jpg

 

dscn3286.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Bird!

Looking good so far.

All the swizzle sticks and I thought they were used for sanding things.

Bill

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Javelin build this week is moving along. With the wings on I assembled the landing gear. The main gear was a little tricky as one of the struts needed to slide under a brace then mount the main strut and attach the other strut. I was able to get them lined up and glued into place. The nose gear and the gear doors all went on with no issues. The various antenna’s, refueling probe, and scoops along with some photo etch details were installed on to the fuselage. Weights were added to the nose cone to keep it from being a tail-dragger. I then painted the base coat on the aircraft. The bottom was painted aluminum and the upper areas were painted with RAF dark green and RAF gray. Getting ready now to apply the numerous decals then onto the canopy.

 

See all the details and photos from the start at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-gloster-javelin/

 

dscn3287.jpg

 

dscn3295.jpg

 

dscn3297.jpg

 

dscn3306.jpg

 

dscn3309.jpg

 

dscn3311.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Javelin is now complete. This kit was very nice in fit and details. The only thing that was negative was the decals. The decals are very thick. The small ones were not bad but the larger ones on the wings and tail were a huge pain to get them to conform to the surface. Took 3 days and lots of Microsol solvent to get them to finally conform. It took at least 3 applications for them to start to soften. If I were to do this kit again I would most likely look for an aftermarket set of make the larger ones myself.  It was nice that the upper wing decals had cutouts and aligned perfectly. Just wish they were thinner. Overall this kit was nice to build and it presents well. I hope you all have enjoyed following along.

 

See the entire build in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-gloster-javelin/

 

dscn3317.jpg

 

dscn3319.jpg

 

dscn3322.jpg

 

dscn3330.jpg

 

dscn3335.jpg

 

dscn3336.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great trip

Thanks for the show

Nice Aircraft

Bill

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats Dave on another phenomenal build. By the way, if I ever had bourbon on my work bench, I’d never get anything done. 🤪

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great looking build of a beautiful plane, and one not often seen. Thanks for letting us tag along!

 

Gil :smiley16:

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...