John Manion from Denver, CO

mtncolonel

I am a retired Army infantry officer who served in Vietnam in 1969. I build 1/35 military vehicles and 1/48 and 1/72 military aircraft. I also model in HO and HOn3 model railroading and have quite a bit of experience in detailing and painting. I should have joined IPMS years ago, but I am a life member in NMRA since 1961. I even built plastic models in Vietnam in our team house.

I like to collect and build models with which I have a personal connection, such as army equipment and Vietnam aircraft and vehicles. I also have taken many photos over the years to provide references for my modeling, as I like to be as accurate as possible. I have color slides from my Army life and am now taking digital pictures with a Nikon D70 SLR. I am known in model railroading as a "rivet counter," although I am more interested in getting an accurate appearance than having every hinge or handle in the exact place. I also "kitbash" to get an accurate model that might not be available in the version I am seeking.

When working on a particular project, I like to go to my PC or laptop and find others who might already have done something that I am planning or know about the prototype and its many details. I have the patience to do fine details, but I would rather not take the time to do something if it already exists. For example, I have Hasegawa 1/72 models of the Lockheed P3C Orion and Lockheed P2V7 Neptune, both with JMSDF decals. I am looking for USN decals for these models, which I am sure must be available somewhere.

I am also willing to share with other modelers, both my photos and my information that I have collected over the years. I am so serious about my hobbies that I am working on a masters degree in history at the University of Colorado at Denver.

I guess that's enough intro on me, as I already have some questions that I would like to post.

John,

Welcome to the fold. The great thing about being here is that your questions will be answered. Also, it's just a great place to talk about the hobby. Most importantly, thank you for your service in Vietnam.

• 2 weeks later...

John,

Glad to have you. Wish there were more train to models crossovers. So many of the techniques are the same.

Steve