M149A2 400Gal Water Trailer

DaveD

I am doing research into 3D printing a 1/35th Scale water trailer, this is initial investigation and just looking for interest in whether I should even attempt it if there is no interest.  

Initially learning how to design using a parametric modeling program and then get the 3D printer. 

This subject is usually towed behind a 2.5 Ton 6x6 or the newer FMTVs.  This usually is included in the logpacks going to infantry and armor companies(chow and water are almost inseparable and would be a good addition for dioramas or loads for trucks  Not sure if I would have Shapeways handle fulfillment or whether I would just produce in the basement.  Looking to retire into this in two years to keep me sane.  Would like to know if this would be of interest to the Armor community

Thanks,  

David Dodge

Sounds like an interesting project.  I'm not into armor but, you have to start somewhere.  Should be a good retirement job if it takes off.  Good luck & looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Modern water buffalos are normally assigned to the company's supply deuce and a half. So if the truck is bumper number A-4, the trailer is A-4-T.

I can see a lot of interest in one of these.

I can't comment on your particular project but may I offer some insight from experience. I don't have my own 3D printer, but I have used both shapeways and panzer concepts to print my 3D files. I use SolidWorks to create the 3D CAD files..

Designing parts for 3D printing is very rewarding but does require it's own set of unique skills. Interpreting documentations and converting into a 3D representation is fairly time consuming, even for what you think are relatively simple parts. Often times drawings do not line up or every reference photo misses that one detail. However, if you are retired, then power onward and upwards! Facebook is immensely useful for reaching out to a world full of modellers and they may have that one image you need. Several of my projects are only possible with the aid of a guy in Russian that barely speaks English.

It's important to understand the quality of the 3D printer. Even the finest 3D printers still have faint build lines that need to be cleaned up so the higher the quality printer you can afford the better your prints are going to be and lessen the amount of cleanup required. Shapeways offers a high resolution white that is good for model building but not the highest resolution out there. There are some desktop DLP printers with smoother finishes. These were printed on a Form 2.

If you sell direct thru Shapeways, then the people buying the parts should be at least have some reasonable expectations on the quality of parts. Designing parts for Shapeways is a little different. They charge per piece so you will need to design your small parts to fit on a sprue to minimize cost. Printing yourself you can avoid that and orient and optimize your parts for build.

If you are offering kits, 3D printed parts tend to be very brittle and many modelers will not be familiar or comfortable with working with this resin. Panzer Concepts use to offer 3D printed conversion and full kits but after too many complaints from people that did not understand the process and material PC switched to just resin cast parts using the prints as masters. There are a few small garage kit suppliers offering direct 3D prints parts for sale so it is possible. FC Model Trend is one however I still haven't seen photos of actual prints, just CAD images.

Edited by BryanKrueger
for clarity

• 1 month later...

Bryan, thanks for the feedback.  I currently have an ANycubic Photon, a Resin LCD printer that was substantially 1/10 of a Form2 with 25-100 micron layer resolution, i't a little small of a print area, but will be a less of a challenge over time.  So far the biggest challenge is completely cleaning the resin off the print and fully curing the print after clean.  I personally want more control of those processes to get a more consistent product.  It's going to be an interesting journey.    //dd//

Dave,

Thanks for the update. I just had a fried print some parts on a Photon. Amazing quality but brittle. I really want one of those but no place for a proper set up.

Keep us posted on your progress. Will be cool to see some printed parts from your project.