F-100C 'Brass Monkey!'

VonL

After yet another fascinating conversation with an old friend who flew these jets, am stoked to do the 1/72 F-100C conversion from Obscureco. The Xtradecal sheet with my desired markings states that NMF Huns were actually painted silver (given the exposed exhaust areas, etc unpainted, etc.) Hard to tell from the period pix. Does this silver paint apply to these late 1950s USAFE air defense birds too?

Good question.....I know in my mind, having built a few F-100s and done some research, MY understanding is that the overall painted silver finish didn't start until the early 60s, and was applied for corrosion control, which is why most of the "silver" Huns in 'Nam were actually painted. I think the earlier Cs and Ds that served in Europe and most everywhere were NMF.

The afterburner area tended to burn off ANY applied paint, be it silver, or the 3 color SEA camo paint; so I don't think that area can be of much help as it was only painted over fresh out of the shop and quickly discolored.

If your bird is dated post '64, I'd feel free to paint it silver. If before then, I'd go with a NMF. Hopefully someone else may be along with a more definitive answer. Cheers!

Gil :smiley16:

From what I've read, some of the USAFE Huns were painted with silver lacquer as early as 1958.  As always, having a photo of the airplane you want to depict is a great way to tell--if the finish is more or less matt and uniform, it is lacquer.  If there are different sheens and tones on the various panels, it is still bare metal.

Cheers!

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... the pix from that unit, (36 FDW & 461st Fighter/Day Squadron at Hahn AB), sure look like NMF to me. Thanx for the look, guys.

F-100c_jesters_1.jpg

Edited by VonL

• 3 weeks later...