2020 Entry for a deceased modeler

I am interested in entering a model for a good friend who recently passed away at the age of 93.  He was a highly skilled modeler, but to my knowledge ever attended a national convention.  I can find no evidence of his membership in IPMS, but if my memory serves me he had been.  He was certainly a member in good standing of our local IPMS club.  I would like to bring one of his models and enter it in a regular category to honor him.  It there any way to do this?

Per the rules ...

I. ELIGIBILITY

1. The IPMS/USA National Contest is open only to members of IPMS/USA or other national IPMS branches. Any current member of IPMS/USA or any other national branch of IPMS is eligible to enter any number of models in the National Contest. To enter the model contest, a member must be individually registered for the convention. This means, if they wish to enter the contest, each member of a Family Membership that so desires must register for the convention separately (this helps eliminate confusion about which of the Family members is the actual contest entrant). A member may also serve as a ‘proxy’ to enter models for an absent member who is not attending the convention. Entry fees for absentee/proxy entrants may be set at the discretion of the Host Chapter. All entries except Chapter/Group entries must be the sole work of the individual whose name is on the model-entry form. Commercially built and/or finished models that do not require significant additional work by the modeler will be ineligible.

The answer to your second question is easy.   You may make a proxy entry of your friend's model   The proxy entry rate is determined by the local committee -- the proxy might not get the decals, pin, and all the hoohaas in the welcome bag.  Contact the organizing committee for details.

However, your friend - the individual entrant -- must be a current (i.e. active) member of IPMS USA or other national branch for  a proxy entry.   Membership in a local chapter without being a national member does not qualify as membership under the spirit of the rules.    If your friend was an active member at the time of his passing there is no problem.   Perhaps check with Marie S at the national office to determine membership status.

You may not enter the friend's model under your name as the model  is not your sole-work.

You may enter the model as a display-only, non-judged entry

• 3 weeks later...

Good question and I'll provide my experience. My father passed away and I had finished a model he had started. I entered it as display only at the Nationals, but the local judging team went outside of the rules to judge it. I was awarded third in the category. 

I'm saying this because what your talking about is more of a gentleman's agreement which shouldn't be limited by the rules. Are you attending this year? If so, please contact NCC@ipmsusa.org