Is anyone else having problems with Squadron.com?

davenport49

In the Christmas 2019 flier I found “Chief Modelers’ Weathering Choice Set” (SQ10215). The set consists of AKI011 White Spirit (35ml) AMIG1206 Dark Streaking Grime (35ml), AKI025 Fuel Stains (35ml), VJ73813 Engine Oil Stains (40ml), ABT005 Smoke (20ml) tube, ABT007 Raw Umber (20ml) tube, ABT070 Dark Rust (20ml) tube, ABT205 Metallic Silver (20ml) tube, (4) plastic paint pots. Hmmmm, that might be helpful. A 20% discount offered through email would cover the cost of shipping. So, I ordered it on 2 December 2019.

Nothing happened.

I contacted Customer Care 20 December and was informed some of the items were back ordered and would arrive soon.

Nothing happened.

On 2 January I checked each of the items in the set online and found all were apparently in stock except AMIG1206 Dark Streaking Grime. I wrote and suggested that instead of waiting for that, how about substituting AKI012 Streaking Grime instead? The reply was, in effect, we can do that; we’ll send it out right away.

Nothing happened.

I keep checking my account to see if the order has shipped. Yesterday I was told they’re still waiting on some items, sorry for the delay. But last night the January 2020 flier arrived, and SQ10215 is right there on page 42 again.

A similar thing happened to me a little over a year ago: Ordered a kit using a nice coupon offered through email. Waited. Contacted Customer Care. Told it was on back order, Repeated several times. Eventually the order just disappeared.

Are others having similar difficulties? Any suggestions?

About the only time I deal with Squadron lately is when I see them at a Nationals. I did get great service from them; but was disappointed in Jeff V's disdain for anything 1/72 scale; particularly in armor. I do understand making a profit and running a business; I did it for 30+ years, but you should also serve the whole customer base as best as possible.

Rich, I hope you get this issue resolved. I have always liked Squadron so I hope that things turn around.

A couple years ago the Eduard F-8 Crusader kit was shown online as being in stock & I place an order.  Got a confirmation email that it would ship soon.  A week later I still didn't have a kit in hand but it was still showing online as being in stock.  Emailed customer service and received a reply that the kit was no longer available.  When I inquired as to why it still showed in stock on the website, I was told the website isn't always correct.  Haven't ordered from Squadron since then.  Ordered the Hasagawa version from Sprue Brothers along with the Eduard PE included in the Eduard version.  Had it in 4 days.

Used to be a huge fan. Now I only order Squadron stuff that's in stock, and not much of that, over the past few years. They seem to have focused their (kit) inventory on Hobby Boss & Trumpeter at the expense of others. Is it just me, or do a majority of their sales feature those? Not much of the cool, niche goodies that power our fanatic-sector of the customer base (and we are a sector). A never-when, Nazi flying saucer - WTF?

I second the Duke's comments.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading on another forum that they noticed that a bunch of Companies are no longer letting Squadron sell their stuff. The thought was they were having financial troubles again.   I've only dealt with them in the Nats Vendor Room, so I have no dealings for mail order  first hand.  If you paid by Payapla etc... I would keep track of the clock to get your money back.  Maybe a good idea to forgo the order and get the $$ back in case the business goes south.

Just my 2¢ what do I know...

My thanks to all the replies, especially Roktman's update - surprising to say the least.  Fortunately the order is on my card, so nothing charged until it's sent.  I've resolved to let it rest; if the order comes, great; if not, no loss.  In the meantime I'll look toward other suppliers.