1/192 scale USS Choctaw FIRST LOOK!

Rusty White

This will be Flagship Models' next, most advanced kit to date; the 1/192 scale USS Choctaw.  It will be approx 18" long as a waterline hull option and will include a highly detailed PE sheet and decals.  The drawings below are preliminary and yet to show the MANY additional details yet to be added.  Price has yet to be determined, and personally I don't care what it is.  This is a personal project that I want and I have received a number of requests from fellow modellers of the civil war era that they would like one, so I decided to add it to Flagship Models' line of kits.  More as development continues.

Choctaw_X1c.jpg

Choctaw_X5.jpg

Choctaw_X5c.jpg

• Like 1

The lines look awesome!! You know I've been wanting a kit of this subject for quite a long time!! Any idea yet when it will be ready for purchase? I'm looking forward to getting one!!

THAT is way cool. Nice work; lots of character. I can easily visualize that proto-Brown Water Navy critter, slowly steaming past the Spanish moss, lookin' for a fight.

11 hours ago, dhamilton said:

The lines look awesome!! You know I've been wanting a kit of this subject for quite a long time!! Any idea yet when it will be ready for purchase? I'm looking forward to getting one!!

At this point in time there are too many "unknowns" I just don't know.  Once all the parts are designed and test fitted, photo etch design begins, then 3D instructions, etc, etc, etc.  Still lots of details to add to the parts.  It gonna be a real beast.

19 hours ago, Rusty White said:

At this point in time there are too many "unknowns" I just don't know.  Once all the parts are designed and test fitted, photo etch design begins, then 3D instructions, etc, etc, etc.  Still lots of details to add to the parts.  It gonna be a real beast.

That’s what I’m counting on Rusty!!!

The waterline option is one of the ways I'm trying to keep the cost down.  As I said earlier, I have no idea what the final cost will be because I don't care.  I have always wanted a Choctaw kit in a large enough scale to really appreciate it.

• Like 1

Price doesn't matter (to me) as much as availability.  This is exactly why I started Flagship Models.  Back in the day when I built exclusively modern and cold war era warship models, there were VERY few (if any) detail sets for those eras.  I was sick and tired waiting for someone to issue the sets, so I produced my own.  Back then the artwork had to literally be drawn by hand on Mylar sheets with Rapidograph pens (time consuming pain in the rump)!  Since I now have the skill to MAKE a kit, since no one else will make one, I will.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Final revisions have been made to the photo etch sheet and are currently at the etcher.  Metal parts have been cast and are here, as well as wood masts, and yards.  The instructions are nearing completion and I am now ready to begin making molds.  It won't be long now.