The Howling Man

Roktman

Today's subject is another from MoonDevil Studio. It's the Howling Man, from a 1060 episode of the Twilight Zone.

From IMDB:

Seeking refuge from a storm, a traveler comes upon a bizarre abbey of monks, who have imprisoned a man who begs for his help. When he confronts the head monk, he is told that the man is the Devil, and he must decide whom to believe.

Just looking at the sculpt you get to see how the story ends.

The kit comes in the usually 2 parts, the bust and the base.  The kit is typically well done and only the slightest seamline is seen across the slicked back hair.

Looking at images of the actor, Robin Hughes, the first obvious thing is that it's all in B&W (Duh, it was 1960, Kev...).
Howl_Man.jpg

My first idea was to paint it up that way. But it was only a few days after JerseyFest (where I got the model) that someone else posted on the FB GK groups his version which was in B&W. So I decided to go with color.
Next thing to think about was what is the coloring. Looking at the  film still, it looks like the actor has no coloring makeup, and his shirt is black and his cape is alsodark with a light color stripes, and cowl.   I remembered a movie memorabilia auction where Dracula's cape was up for bid. The cape as you would expect was black, but the inside was a salmon color satin!  I decided that my devil will have the same. If it's good enuff for Bela, it's good enuff for the Howling Man...

But first comes the primer. And then I decided to make him a red devil.
IMG_0265.jpg

It wqas at this point I decided that I would work on my OSL.  Not show is I started by using my "red" paint set, and started at one end with a dark purple color. This will be my deepest shadow.
I started with a flesh color which would give me the salmon color, but decided to add some pearlizing additive to make the cowl shone a bit. But the pearl flecks are in a white medium, not clear. This turned the salmon color a little beige.  Hmmm do I want the pearl, or do I want the salmon color. I chose the shine so my cowl became this beige color.
IMG_0270.jpg

In retrospect I should have darkened the shadows of the cowl more as I was going, which would enhance the shine. I tried after 90% of it was done, but was afraid of ruining what I had done so far, and chickened out spraying the shadows darker. The cape was black, the shirt was German Gray, and the chain was brass, which IMHO looks more like gold and the gold paint does.

The base was gray which Black Gray in the cracks, and the lettering was the same Scarlet that was the highest highlight of the face.  With that I was calling this done. Thanks for looking.
IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg