Wow Nick

I think you went down a long path there, LOL.

Ralph, you quoted George 

14 minutes ago, Ralph Nardone said:

Its supposed to be about the models, not the medals.

If that were truly the case then Why does Wonderfest give out awards? Why does AMPS give out awards, Why does IPMS and all the affiliated chapters give out awards? Because enough people want them.  If it's not about medals then why is the Open system side advocating for wait for it, "The possibility of awarding More medals".  Even the UK nats "Scale model world" where club displays outnumber contest entries by a large amount has a competition section. So if it truly about the models and became a display only event then I would bet the Nats would die.  Plenty of people seem to still enjoy the competition aspect. If a modeler prefers a certain system other than what IPMS offers then they do have options Like AMPS and Wonderfest and the myriad of auto and figure shows out there. 

This argument/conversation reminds me of the Rivet counter vs Just build for yourself guys. One side describes the other as Mr. Seletas points out (Pumped out chest like it's the NFL).  Then the other side is (well build a better model) . Attitudes based off of perceptions are often just wrong. Everyone enjoys this hobby in different ways . Problems arise when those who "feel" left out want change to "feel" accepted/rewarded.

As for feedback and learning I would venture to say that the world series is the wrong place to learn how to play baseball. So why then come to a national competition expecting to learn how to model. I know why I didn't place, I know all the issue with my model. The judges found them and I take my lumps. If people have to have the knowledge of why they didn't place that won't happen since you then have to involve other people's models in the reasoning of how the placements were decided upon and we can't do that. One may say they just want critique about their model but what they really want to know is why they didn't place. Then once you tell them what is wrong then THEY start the comparison between others on the table and start arguing with you , Been there, done that, have the T-Shirt....And they could and would do that with an Open system too since they would feel they deserved a higher medal.

In the end I believe entrants ( both sides of this argument included) need to wrap their heads around the fact that if it is truly about models then go display your model on a contest table and don't get to wrapped up in results. All an award is at the end of the day is icing on the cake of what should be an already awesome modeling excursion to see old friends, buy stuff we don't need, and look at cool models. Sure, it's fun to get something extra and receive an award but but don't let that be the basis of everything like it seems both sides are all about.

Jim

Jim and Pete, That was mostly an exercise in creative writing with a little satire. Jim’s summary was much more appropriate and, dare I say it, Judicial? 

Nick

3 hours ago, Nick Filippone said:

Jim and Pete, That was mostly an exercise in creative writing with a little satire. Jim’s summary was much more appropriate and, dare I say it, Judicial? 

Nick

Yup.  That was a lot of words and effort to say; "I don't agree".  😁

Ralph I would paraphrase a portion of what you said.  No, it's not about models or medals.  It is about people!  The models get nothing out of being put in a contest. 😄

Rusty, Actually, it was no effort at all. I rather enjoy writing. But I have been accused of literary loquaciousness. It helps to keep one’s writing skills sharp. 

Nick