The Latest On The Death Of Testors...Some True, Some Maybe Not

ipmsusa2

Today I stumbled across a post on the Oldie & Goldie Scale Models Facebook Group.  Someone had posted an alleged Product Bulletin that was addressed to all Testors Distributors.  Subject was the end of an era.  If you want to look at the Bulletin yourself, go to Facebook and search for Oldie And Goldie Scale Models.  Some are claiming that it is fake news and others don't know.  BUT at least one person stated that what they did know...from a separate source...was that Rustoleum was definitely dropping Aztek Airbrushes along with the International and Military colors.

Since the above info was impossible to verify, I went to Rustoleum's Testors website to see what, if anything, had changed.  Here's what I've discovered:

1.    Aztek Airbrushes are no longer listed.
2.   There are 20 One Coat Lacquer Spray colors (19 colors and Spray Wet Look Clear
3.   Dullcote & Glosscote are still available in both spray and bottle.
4.   The entire Metalizer line is gone, including Metalizer Sealer and Thinner.
5.   Acryl acrylic is still available as follows....but the number of colors is diminishing:
      Flat:  34 colors + clear flat
      Gloss:  18 colors + clear gloss
      Semi-Gloss:  10 colors
6.  Model Master enamels are still available...kinda, sorta...as shown below:
     Auto enamels: 
     Gloss:  29 colors
     Military enamels: 
     Flat:  27 colors
     Gloss:  2 colors
     Semi-Gloss:  1 color
     Figure enamels:
     Flat:  5 colors
     Semi-Gloss:  3 colors
     Stain:  2 shades
     International Military:
     WW-II US & United Kingdom:

Flat:  4 colors
     Gloss:  1 color
     US Military:

Flat:  2 colors
     Gloss:  2 colors
     Semi-Gloss:  3 colors
     WW-II German Luftwaffe - RLM & Panzer :

Semi-Gloss:  8 colors

WW-II Italian/Japanese/Russian:

Semi-Gloss;  1 color
     Modern Armor Gulf War/Nato/Russia:

Flat:  1 color
     Semi-Gloss:  1 color

Since I started writing this post, all comments relative to the presumed Product Bulletin have been removed.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Bulletin image disappears before long, especially if it is fictitious.  Still, the list I have provided is taken direct from the Rustoleum/Testors website...essentially straight from the horse's mouth.  I'll try to contact Rustoleum the first of next week to see if I can get any updated information.

In a thread on the FineScale Models forum posted yesterday it was postulated that Rustoleum was getting rid of all Testors.  Responses asked for references and was denounced as fake news (ahh, a new term in the lexicon).  

Aaron Skinner, editor of FSM, went direct to Rustoleum and posted that they were stopping all international distribution of paints.   Yes, Canada is international to the US.  Yes,  the product line is smaller than it once was. 

I liked Floquil, PollyS, and MM but there are other good options.  I am evolving to the new world (and I now airbrush indoors without the solvent smells).  

• Like 1

Dave, as my last post in this thread indicated, the Testors letter that was posted is fake.  At the same time, it was reported that Aaron Skinner had been in contact with Rustoleum and stated that Rustoleum was dropping Aztek Airbrushes as well as the International and Military lines.

Adding to the confusion, the following link https://www.rustoleum.ca/product-catalog/consumer-brands/testors/  takes you to an updated Testors website that matches the products in my latest post...including Aztek and Metalizers no longer existing.  BUT the https://www.testors.com/ website lists a wider range of products...including MM colors that are known to have been discontinued.  Adding insult and confusion to injury, if you go to the Rustoleum site...http://rustoleum...scroll down to the bottom and click on the Testors link, it takes you directly to the https://www.testors.com website instead of the revised website that I listed in the beginning of this paragraph.

I will be calling Rustoleum shortly to see if I can get some accurate information directly from Rustoleum.  Maybe then we'll know what's really going on and what to believe.