ACCUARCY, CRAFTSMANSHIP, AND AESTHETICS

Dakimbrell

Views about paint shades and colours can go on ad infinitum. Why? Because this is so subjective to each and every user. Methuen values ,modulation techniques, air brush mixes, it goes on and on.

There has been a bit of discussion on here about using auto.motive paints and whether the shade should be lighter to be 'in scale'. Well, I have used automotive rattle fans for years, and no one has ever said to me when exhibiting my models about my plain colours being too dark! My take is who needs to mess about with an air brush to lighten a colour?  Guess I am getting lazy in my old age! Metallics however can look like scaled down metal flake on a model so one needs to be aware of this. Great for customs though!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, noelsmith said:

and no one has ever said to me when exhibiting my models about my plain colours being too dark!

Have you posed the model beside the real thing? At least, Panzer Grey and Olive Drab look way to dark if you don't lighten them.

Now, what about seams that SHOULD be there, but have been removed or filled by the builder? I see this a lot on aircraft undercarriage and the rubber tires on tank roadwheels, in particular. Thoughts?

Dak

7 hours ago, noelsmith said:

… Metallics however can look like scaled down metal flake on a model so one needs to be aware of this. Great for customs though!

I found Vallejo Model Air aluminum #71.062 to be a good "silver" without the almost artificial flakes that the labeled silvers have. plus they are a bit gummy after a minute or two on the plate.

2 hours ago, Dakimbrell said:

Now, what about seams that SHOULD be there, but have been removed or filled by the builder? I see this a lot on aircraft undercarriage and the rubber tires on tank roadwheels, in particular. Thoughts?

Dak

I think that particular problem has a two fold cause.  First, we have all been conditioned...brainwashed...to consider ANY seam as undesirable.  This, I suspect, goes back to the earlier days of injection molding when that was basically true.  Second, a lack of familiarity with the subject or insufficient research as to the proper appearance of any given item, such as rubber tires.

• Like 1

As for lightening up colours, maybe the paint manufacturers should be taking this into account for scale realism. As a car .modeller plain real car colours are ok to use by me straight from an aerosol, they go off hard quickly and I do not have to mess about with an air brush and all the after care clean up.

If I remember correctly, some manufacturers did offer scale effect colors.  At least a few shades such as variations of black.  But to do this across the board doesn't approach being feasible, particularly when whether or not any given shade is 'right' is determined entirely by the eye of the beholder.