brushing enamels

bmill245

I just started a new project last night using WEM paints, and I love them. I don't own an airbrush kit and the only issue I have is that after the first coat the paint started looking "lumpy." There's a streak of dark here, and another lighter streak, then dark again. I put on a second coat, and although it did help, the problem still exists. Any ideas would be appriciated. Thanks.

WEM=White Ensign Models

I've seen that myself before. It does take multiple coats to cover completely. Here's what I do, maybe it'll help. I thin the paint a little to help with the flow, especially if it's an older jar that's been used before. When I lay the paint down, I use very few strokes to spread the paint, no more than 3-4 strokes, any more will "stress" the paint and cause huge brush strokes to appear when dry. Lay it on thin, using multiple coats. I also give it 12-24 hours to dry out before recoating, sometimes the paint underneath hasn't dried yet, and will pull up when you apply additional coats, which can also cause the streaking you've witnessed. I learned that the hard way. Start with the lightest colors first, working towards the darkest. Hope this helps, and I hope you'll post some pics of your project when you're done!

Glenn

Also remember, no matter the brushing, thinning, or your abilities. Sometimes you just get a Friday or Monday can of paint. I sprayed my Hummel and the Flat OD was actually semigloss. The paint was fully mixed and I even brushed some onto a test tank and it dried semigloss as well to verify that I hadn't messed up. When I re-fire today, I'll use a different tin.

Mark

Make sure your paint is well stirred. Don't try to short cut here. Then make sure you have a good quality brush. Brushes are expensive, but if you take care of them, they'll last a long time. Another tip is to brush up and down, not horizontal. Use several light coats. Let them dry completely before you start the next coat or you'll just roll the paint and get lumps. Hope this helps.

Mark said:

Sometimes you just get a Friday or Monday can of paint. I sprayed my Hummel and the Flat OD was actually semigloss.

That's why Clear Flat was invented. :smiley14:

Les,

Unfortunately, you can get a Friday or Monday can/bottle of that as well! Luckily, The clear gloss seems to have at least made it all look good. I'll know for sure after the washes and transfers are applied and get it the flat coat.

Mark

I just started a new project last night using WEM paints, and I love them. I don't own an airbrush kit and the only issue I have is that after the first coat the paint started looking "lumpy." There's a streak of dark here, and another lighter streak, then dark again. I put on a second coat, and although it did help, the problem still exists. Any ideas would be appriciated. Thanks.

I also use WEM & love them, but my brushing experience has been spotty at best. Except for quicky touch-ups, I thin about 50-50 and then brush thin coats with plenty of time (24 hr) between coats. I highly recommend test brushing colo(u)r-by-colo(u)r and tin-by-tin as I have had varied results. WEM says brushing should not be an issue -- maybe it's you and I :smiley19: ....

I really recommend an airbrush to get the most out of these excellent paints.