Installing treads?

TonyD

Recently retired and able to spend time building models and have a question on installing treads onto model tanks. The one-piece vinyl type; pinned joint. I have had issues breaking running gear trying to install the treads after pinning; is there a trick to this or should I wrap the tread onto the running gear and then join the ends?

Depends on the type of tank you are modeling. If it has sagging track and open suspension (no track skirts), you can leave off either the idler wheel or sprocket and then slide the track onto that object as you then place it on the suspension.

If it has covered and tight tracks, like an Abrams, you could attach it with staples on the top side since it will be hidden by the side skirts.

Got; it thanks! I'm trying to finish an Italeri 1/35 Elephant that I started 20 years ago (no kidding). As a kid I recall 'walking' the tread on by hooking it on the sprocket and rotating it while guiding the track around the rest of the wheels. When I tried that, the outer half of the idler sprocket popped off on one side and the drive sprocket pulled out on the other. So I ended up doing as you suggested - I installed the track with the 'broken' parts off, then put them back on.

Question: is there a 'Hints and Tips' forum? Also, is there a way to do a keyword search in the forum?

There is a search field in the upper right hand corner, not sure how it searches, I don't believe I've utilized it before.

Sometimes when the tracks are too tight, you have to do a little surgery by relocating the mounting axles for the sprocket or idler wheel inward just a few millimeters to give some slack.