Trumpeter 1/32nd scale P-38L Lightning

Bradley25mm

As far as I've been able to find, there isn't.  Eduard produces a Big Ed photoetch package that covers the interior, seatbelts, landing gear detail, exterior and canopy masks.  You also will absolutely want the white metal l.g. replacements from Scale Aircraft Conversions.  Quickboost produces...and probably some other companies....offer gun barrels.  Don't worry about showing the engines exposed on the model because Trumpeter doesn't provide positionable panels.  But do spend a lot of time figuring out where you're gonna cram enough weight to keep the nose down.  Hint: It ain't gonna be easy.

Richard, 

Thanks for the reply.  I’ve  purchased everything you’ve mentioned above. I’m going to buy the propeller correction set as well. I’ve decided to really take my time on this one. I’ve opened up the engine panels on both nacelles already. I’lI thin the panels out with my  Dremel tool. I plan on super detailing the engines, and gun bays.  I’ll have to scratch build the framing around each panel attachment point, as well as a few other things. As far as being tail heavy, I glue all my models to their bases. Have you built this kit? 

Christopher

Chris,

Haven't built the kit, but I have one.  Whenever I get around to it, I'm hoping to convert it to a P-38G.  Nothing like being a glutton for punishment, is there?  Anyway, good luck on your project.  Sounds like it'll be a spectacular model when its finished. and also an ideal entry in the 2020 Nats in San Marcos, Texas.

Richard

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

All the parts have come in. The engine covers are what I'm working on now. After they were cut apart, I thinned all the panels with my Dremel tool. Just like the Mustang I built, I'm going to pose this one in a state of maintenance as well. I've purchased mechanics from Black Dog Models, and a B-25 Mitchell crew from ICM models. The engines, and all the framing will take the most time to construct.

Christopher

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally got around to starting the base. I purchased Martson Matting from Tom’s Model works. I’m not going to do the entire base, but a good portion of it.  I’m going to use sanded grout on the side to simulate dirt. The decorative brass plates are being made at the Trophy shop. 

07B27CDA-E13D-48C9-B4FA-EC9811EE0010.jpeg

FE8F9F19-8C01-49EA-9763-70CC6FEC02D9.jpeg

0341C47F-958C-40ED-BCBF-313B0C8089B2.jpeg

1B3041E6-F13A-43CA-8B23-7E2B963A8FC3.jpeg

A5F2B9B5-0EFC-45EC-B310-9E34CBE221EA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I applied the final coat of polyurethane on the trim of the base. I normally only apply 1 coat. This trim has 3 coats, sanded between coats.  I've laid all the photo etch Marston Matting that I have on hand. I'm waiting for the last 4 sets to come from Tom's Modelworks. The pieces are pretty delicate when you handle them. The hooks are easily bent if you bump them. I used tweezers every chance I could to reduce damage. The instructions state that you should leave them on the frets until your ready to apply them. It cut easily with scissors.  The base is furniture grade plywood. I final sanded it with 220 grit sandpaper. I wiped down the plywood with a damp cloth of Mineral Spirits to get all the fine sawdust up, before gluing the photo etch down. I used Loctite super glue to attach them. 

I used several photos of the actual runway as a reference. The most important task is to make sure the joints are staggered when you start out. Although I used a reference line to start the runs, its not perfectly straight. Actual photos looking down the runway show that it pretty wavy. Once the surface was leveled and compacted, the pieces were put down one at a time. Each piece was about 66 lbs. Each piece measures 10ft long x 15in. wide. Once I get all the pieces laid, I'm going to apply a thin coat of sanded grout on both sides to simulate dirt. I'm going to use kitty liter to simulate small rocks on each side,

The figures are a mix of Black Dog, and ICM. The tools are from MiniArt. The ladders and small table are from Black dog. The large table was scratch built from balsa wood The ammo crates, and tarps are from Value Gear. The kit itself comes with a lot of photo etch parts. I did purchase several Eduard kits to improve the interior, exterior, and gun bay. The plaques from the Trophy shop turned out great, I thought.

Chris

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All that's left to do now, is dirty everything up, and put it together. It always amazes me that Trumpeter will provide a detailed engine, but no way to show it.  I detailed the entire thing even though some of the detail will be hidden. To simulate rubber hoses and clamps, I used electrical tape, and photo etch scrap. Since I'll be showing these, I had to scratch build the header tanks that sit on top of the reduction gearboxes. I went thru my model stash to find the thickest piece of sprue I could, heated it, and used a large razor knife handle as a jig. I dressed them up with spare parts from my photo etch stash. The "seam" that goes around the tank, is heated sprue that was stretched out. Added hydraulic lines/hoses to the landing gear. I'm using Tamiya Bare-Metal silver for the main color.

After a small "mishap" with the base, I finally finished it. I used pre-mixed sanded grout, as the ground work. First thing I did was put tape where the decorative plates would go.  I applied it directly to the wood with a small spatula. After every thing was smoothed out, I stippled the surface with a large paint brush. I added sifted kitty litter to a few spots while the grout was still wet. Last thing to do was carefully remove the tape while the grout was still wet. It was painted with several shades of Tamiya brown. A heavy wash of artist oils (burnt umber) thinned with mineral spirits was applied to the ground work only. After the wash dried, I dry brushed it with Naples yellow hue artist oil.

Chris

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The cockpit took quite some time with all the photo etch. The gun bay was not to bad. The resin propellers are extremely thin, but very accurate. I used white thread to simulate wiring. So far, the fit of the parts is really good. I’ve started building the framework around the engines with thin plastic sheets.

Chris

A68DD216-29D4-45DE-9A0F-7F2FA322FC64.jpeg

1B167B49-EDF0-446E-87EC-E21B9C9C8F40.jpeg

2E557219-F905-4EFE-8B46-CBA355BB1C80.jpeg

C6041CC0-4119-40EA-95E9-3E52422A6720.jpeg

0342C4A6-44F4-43A9-8D63-3F1E38414E65.jpeg

53DF3AB1-D000-4FB0-B803-D83D770AABD8.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! There is SO much there to like, from the details you added to the composition of the scene. Put a more historic background on that last pic and it could almost pass for a war time photo! Thanks for sharing this superb build with us!

Gil :smiley16:

This certainly turned out amazing.  Well done!

Richard Bong would be proud of that J model Lightning! Nice work Brad!

Mark