2020 Nats Decal Sheet Subjects

Greetings All,

In putting together a convention decal sheet for next year’s event, we’re looking for your ideas for Texas-themed subjects.  We’ve come up with several ideas for aircraft, but are still researching Texas subjects that might appeal to military vehicle, automotive, ships, space (other than the obvious NASA ties), Sci-Fi, etc.

We don’t want to limit the decals to just aircraft subjects, so … put on your thinking caps and let us know what you want to see.  Possible subjects might include law enforcement vehicles, naval vessels, race cars, something with a Texas–themed movie connection … use your imagination.

Please send an email with your ideas to Rob Booth: rbooth@hctc.net.  Please be sure to note how it fits the Texas theme, what specific kit(s) and scale would be applicable, and include some pictures for reference.  Deadline for ideas is December 31, 2019 to allow sufficient time for design and production.

Thanks,

Len Pilhofer

1503141779_Nats2020Design06-small.jpg.87a38f661dfa8b5bd7aa622f53cc94e2.jpg

Besides aircraft of the Texas Air National Guard, how about decals for Texas Highway Patrol vehicles of various vintages (1/24, 1/25)?  The Texas Highway Patrol have also operated various aircraft, including a Navion (1/72). Some of the smaller, lesser known Texas-based airlines might be good subjects (1/72, 1/144); the major ones are commercially available. I'll see if I can stir up some photos. The Department of Public Safety was very helpful when I was looking for a photo of the car my late dad drove when he was a License & Weight Inspector, and they probably have more in their archives.

Here's a list of ships with Texas-related names: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:United_States_Navy_Texas-related_ships

I did see a couple guys at SuperCon in Arlington, Texas last weekend that shirts made.  They looked pretty awesome!

Edited by Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of having some law enforcement decals done. The ships would be excellent additions too. I would love to know what armor here could be; I'll have to look some up and see what there is.

5 hours ago, Ralph Nardone said:

Airliners, too--Braniff, Trans-Texas Airways, Continental...

I would like to see some of these in 1/72 scale too. I have a 1/72 scale DC-9 as well as another 737 in 1/72 scale that could use some good Texas airliner decals.

Len:

I have a digital copy of the DC-3 35mm slides which Ed Seay of MAL Hobbies used to sell.    Included are some nice pix of some Trans Texas and Continental aircraft.   TTA livery with the Lone Star on the tail would be nice and fit in well.  1:144 please.   I'll burn a couple copies and bring with me to the Austin show this weekend 

Ed Grune

IPMS-NCT 

There's no reason those markings couldn't be done in both 1/144 and 1/72 scale, considering the number of DC-3's in 1/72 scale out there. I believe there's evben a few 1/48 scale ones too so that marking size could also be considered. Ed had offered an excellent idea.

Very good ideas coming in for the decal sheet(s). 

Could I ask the auto guys to chime in with some relatively current kit releases that would be a suitable palette for some law enforcement decals?  It might be easier to research by vehicle type of available kits than vice versa.  i.e. TX DPS is using Tahoes in my area right now.  Are there any readily available kits?  Also, they were using some pretty hot Mustangs for a while... Pics of the subjects and model kit manufacturer's names and kit nos are VERY helpful.

NASCAR buffs - what about the Labonte Brothers?  Any ideas there?

Armor guys - what specific subjects from Ft. Hood, Ft. Sam Houston (field ambulances????), Ft. Bliss, others, would you like to see?

We're trying to avoid putting together an all aircraft sheet.

Thanks,  RB

I'll try to look and see what vehicles are located at those forts. Please; if you do some armor decals/markings, please do them in both 1/35th an 1/72 scale! At one convention they had a great set of M1A1 Abrams decals that I wanted to use, but they were only in 1/35th scale so I was unable to make that tank.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of T-38s, some markings for one of NASA's Houston based T-38s in 1/72 would be greatly appreciated! Other than an unusual set of markings for a NASA T-38 on a very old Microscale sheet, I don't think these have been done in 1/72. This decal would get the interest of both aircraft and space related modelers and it is Texas focused!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

6 hours ago, Piedmont said:

Speaking of T-38s, some markings for one of NASA's Houston based T-38s in 1/72 would be greatly appreciated! Other than an unusual set of markings for a NASA T-38 on a very old Microscale sheet, I don't think these have been done in 1/72. This decal would get the interest of both aircraft and space related modelers and it is Texas focused!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

I like the T-38, but I haven't seen a lot of 1/72 kits out there. There are a few in 1/48, which I believe already have NASA markings available. I'd like to see an ER-2 but not holding my breath.

When it comes to cars, tanks, etc, I got nothing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2019 at 10:41 PM, SwampFox said:

Sheppard AFB based birds, such as T-37s, T-38s, and B-52s. Carswell AFB based B-36s, Texas ANG F-101Bs for their 1978 William Tell Championship.

Well, if your going to get that specific, Laughlin AFB birds.  T-41s, T-37s, T-38s.  Class 74-02 September 1972-1973!😉

All,

Last chance for your input for the 2020 Convention Decal offerings.  We appreciate everyone's input thus far, with lots of great ideas presented.  We have more than enough aircraft submissions to choose from, but still need some SPECIFIC ideas regarding a military vehicle subject.  We've received some general suggestions, but at this point we're looking for a specific vehicle that has a Texas connection, and photo documentation to work from.  Please email me at rbooth@hctc.net with any specific subjects you'd like to submit.

We'll be making final choices in early January, and put together a teaser for announcement later in the month.

Merry Texmas to all, and may Poncho Claus bring all of you that special box of plastic you've been wishing for.'

Rob Booth – IPMS# 37548

Awards Coordinator

Decal Coordinator

Chief Gofer

IPMS/USA National Convention 2020

www.nats2020.com

On 12/22/2019 at 2:19 PM, jimpearsall said:

Plenty of great aircraft ideas.  How about some Fort Hood M-1 Abrams and M2A2 Bradleys.  Myself, I build 1/72 armor, so don't just do 1/35.  Please??

Jim

Agreed here! I'll see if I can come up with some Texas vehicles that are more specific.