ARE WE PICKY, YES; TOO PICKY, NO

Dakimbrell

I have addressed this question before, but here is a perspective from the Chattanooga show.

We were working on armor and the particular category had three very nice pieces. The problem was which was going to be 1st place. The favorite was a very nicely detailed model and we were about to go with it until I noticed this beautiful work was flawed by a very basic item....the builder had not drilled out the M2 machine gun barrel. A truly trivial element, but it was inconsistent with rest of the work. A massive amount of work and such a simple thing overlooked. It got a 2nd, so it wasn't thrown out as some assert.

We were a team of four, three regular judges and a trainee. The category was 1/35th armor so you expect a certain level of basic work. All three of the top models were very, very good. None of the models were thrown out for trivial details, each was looked at very carefully, but at some point we had to start splitting hairs. So, yes, we were very picky, but no more than we needed to find a top winner.

Dak

And I would suggest that is the way it should be.  On the Nationals level...heck, on almost any level...failure to drill out a gun barrel or automotive tailpipe is definitely not trivial.  Picky, yes, but realistically, rationally picky.

• Like 1