Klingon Bird of Prey

Mike Delano

This was actually a weekend build - this piece was built up from the old 1990's AMT BOP release. The only reason I built it was the box was crushed and it really hurt the 'Feng shui' of my model closet.... I preshaded with Floquil Engine Black followed by a base coat of Gunze Russian Green (2) and followed by several lighter coats of Floquil Coach Green and Floquil Depot Olive. Individual panel detail was done in MM Green Zinc Chromate. The wing pattern was done using Floqui Oxide Red. I took a little bit of artistic license with this one and did the red pattern on the upper and lower wing surfaces (I believe the studio model only had the red pattern on the lower surface). Other details such as the nav lights were done in various MM and Gunze colors - Insigia Yellow, Bright Green, Winde Red, Bright Ret, etc... For the windows, I used Architects' ink liners - since my wife is one, we have a neverending supply of them around here and she never notices when I steal them... If you're a Sci Fi modeler, I highly suggest them for blacked out windows. The warp drive housing was the most challenging part as I did alot masking and painting from the inside to give it a bit of translucense. The piece was given a final once over with Testors dullcoat lacquer. I'm actually thinking about going back over again with another coat of Future and giving the whole thing a black wash to give it a really beaten up look like the original studio model.

DSC_3632.jpg

DSC_3634.jpg

DSC_3635.jpg

DSC_3636.jpg

DSC_3637.jpg

DSC_3638.jpg

DSC_3639.jpg

I'm liking the look as is. :smiley20: I am not a big fan of weathering that looks like the spacecraft was dragged though the mud at Stalingrad. Light touch, OK. Lay off the super grungy dirty look, though.

Ed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

id say theres nothing wrong with the super grungy look. there is a thing called space dust, dirt. look at some nasa pics.

also some ships(like the one) are both space fareing and planet "drop" capable, so there would be alot of dirt and grime from ships that dont get washed/cleaned by starfleet crews/spacedocks and enter and exit a planets atmosphere.

Nice work Mike - thanks for sharing!

(I too tend to move the "crushed box" kits to the front of the line...) :smiley18:

• 2 years later...