Confessions of a contest judge...

Dakimbrell

3 hours ago, Roktman said:

. For example if one guy adds all the seat belts to a plane, but has them in wrong, or upside down, whatever... and it's noticed,  that's a strike against the model. Where as the guy that didn't add seat belts and just built OOB, won't get a strike for not having them.  The same goes for the guy who builds a tank and has it pristine like it just came out of the factory. There's no strikes for no dirt. But if someone else added the dirt, and it looks good that's one up for the guy that did the extra work.

I've done the seminar several times. One thing most people forget is the remarks are mostly guidelines, not gospel. As the models are culled for the winning top three the judges get more picky and they have to do so. When a highly detailed model is discovered to NOT have something so basic as drilling out machine gun barrels, it looses a chance at first place.

This is also why it is important to put remarks about "odd" elements of the model. The judges may not know about the one passion pink Me-109G-6 R/2 in JG300 during the last three days of April 1945. For example, look at this very ugly SEAM I found on the suspension of a real Sd.Kfz 234/4 armored car. How many of you would gig that as poor craftsmanship, if you saw it without documentation?

Kevin's remarks again show we do judge some accuracy....unless you find parts assembled backwards as details to be ignored. Again, accuracy and craftsmanship go hand in hand. The trick to being a good judge is to be able to gauge where the line is between the two.

Dak

seam.JPG