Tamiya canopy masks?

rtv

I'm currently building Tamiya's latest Spitfire, #61119.  I've liked every Tamiya kit I've built so far, really good quality stuff.  The same is true here, except for one bit.

The kit comes with a "masking sheet" for the cockpit canopy.  I've gotten to the point where I need to mask the canopy for painting and after a few minutes of picking at this masking sheet, I realized it's just a piece of masking paper with some lines printed on it.  It's not pre-cut.  I think the modeller is supposed to go over the lines with a knife and cut them out.  Needless to say, I was really disappointed.

I've put in an order for a proper set of masks from Eduard, but I was curious if this was how Tamiya provided masking sheets for all the other models that have them?

I think this is the way they provide the builder with masking while also saving money and thus (hopefully) holding the price of the kit down. It also allows them to handle it "in-house", without investing in another piece of machinery (die cutter) and to also not have to worry about being supplied from a subcontractor whose shipment may delay getting kits to market.

I totally agree that pre-cut masks are one of the best things since sliced bread. However, I've also had good results cutting them out myself. Remember that you can certainly use scissors instead of a knife, which many people would find easier to use. The real advantage is that their masking materiel is mostly superior to most others.

While I understand your disappointment, I wouldn't call it a make-or-break item when it comes to the kit. Sounds like you solved your problem though, even if it took another $5.

GIL :smiley16: