Contest Awards

SF49erinNM

Hi guys and gals,

I have taken over as contest director of my chapter for the remainder of the year due to our elected official being unreachable. 

I have been tasked with doing some research into possibly converting from our current "1st, 2nd, and 3rd place" awards to a "Gold/Silver/Bronze system. I understand that some of our USA clubs are already doing this and I would like to know who they are, how they administer it and score it. Are there more than one Gold/Silver/Bronze awards per category as long as the models meet the Judging criteria/scoring? 

Inquiring minds want to know... Thanks in advance!

David: email me at slowhandshodges@bellsouth.net and I can send you an outline. Otherwise, you can search some of the GSB topics on here and get a LOT of explanations of verious ways to do it.

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

Also, Chattanooga has a version they use.  You might wait until after the Nationals to contact them, they'll be a tad busy until then.  (I'm speaking from experience here...)  

http://www.chattanoogascalemodelers.com/chattanooga-model-show/

For the awards themselves, contact Mission Awards.  Their product is excellent, and they are affordable--we ordered 100 each Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals, and paid a little less than $3 per medal in 2018.  That gave us enough for two shows (we still run a traditional IPMS 1-2-3 format contest).  We designed a simple medal with the club logo, and it can be used from eyar to year as it is generic.  They cost a whole lot less than engraved or sublimated plaques or traditional trophies, and a whole heap less than Lucite spears.

https://www.missionawards.com/

Cheers!

Ralph  

• Like 1

There are a number of ways to do this, but:

1. The whole point of the system is that models are judged against an objective criteria instead of each other. This means that you can give out any number of any colour of medals per category (and yes, zero is a number). If you have four amazing gold-tier models in a category, you can give out four gold medals.

2. Since models aren't competing against each other and you can have multiple medals per category, you don't need as many categories in order to have like competing against like and a reasonable number of models per category. You could simply have a few categories, such as aircraft, armour, automotive, figures, etc.

3. One thing to consider is whether you want to judge every single model or a modeller's work within a category as a whole. By this, I mean if I enter eight models in a category, should I get one gold, five silvers, and two bronzes, or should I just get a single gold to represent my best work? There are pros and cons to each; the second way of doing both cuts down on award expenses and doesn't drag on the award ceremony, but it means that entrants have to put all their models within a category next to each other in a little group so you can tell at a glance which models all belong to the same person.

• Like 1

Telford awards GSB  but is based on 123 in each category. The Model Engineer and Modelling Exhibition as was, awarded Gold, Silver and Bronze medals, and this was done on a points system. So multiples of each medal could be awarded in each class, the criteria being to reach or exceed a certain number of points in order to gain recognition for that award. In my personal view this is better than the 123 system in recognising how good a model is without having to split hairs in reaching a decision.

On 7/11/2019 at 11:32 AM, crimsyn1919 said:

One thing to consider is whether you want to judge every single model or a modeller's work within a category as a whole. By this, I mean if I enter eight models in a category, should I get one gold, five silvers, and two bronzes, or should I just get a single gold to represent my best work? There are pros and cons to each; the second way of doing both cuts down on award expenses and doesn't drag on the award ceremony, but it means that entrants have to put all their models within a category next to each other in a little group so you can tell at a glance which models all belong to the same person.

One way to go about this is the Chicago System as used by the Military Miniatures Society of Illinois.  

http://www.military-miniature-society-of-illinois.com/opensystem

Ralph

Greetings David

In the section on the Judging Survey I have posted some information regarding the "Open Judging " used by Pittsburgh. I would be more than willing t talk to you regarding this system and why Pittsburgh has chosen it. 

Dave Morrissette has posted my email and my mobile number is 412-449-7505. I would be more than happy to talk with you and offer any support needed.

Best Regards

Bill