Remembering Founder Jim Sage

SkyKing

Found at a local hobby shop's going-out-of-business sale: A KP Il-10 kit sent to Jim by a Czech modeler during the Cold War.

Jim Sage kit web.jpg

(Photo by Scott Copeland)

Edited by SkyKing
Photo credit

I have fond memories of Strete Hobbies in Columbus OH......It was the typical hole-in-the-wall shop that existed from at least the 1960s til the mid 90s. The owner at the time I lived there (Bob) was a bit of a curmudgeon til he got to know you (and vice-versa). Only after a few years did I learn he also ran a mail order company called  "Imported Specialties"  that had all sorts of "goodies" from England, Europe, and the Soviet Bloc. He kept these items in the back room and didn't even bother to tell we locals about them!

Interestingly, the way he did business with the Eastern European modelers was simple....he'd fill a medium sized cardboard with the cheapest jeans he could buy and send it to them. They'd take the jeans as payment, refill the same box with merchandise and mail it back to him! It was a simple barter system that worked until after the Soviet Union fell in 1990.

GIL  :smiley16: