Kitty Hawk F2H-2P Banshee Camera Setup

nmertes

As I posted some time ago, the camera setup in the Kitty Hawk Banshee kit doesn't resemble any aerial camera I ever saw.  The mounting rack is a tubular affair with 3 vertical positions & several oblique positions.  Attempting to scale it down to 48th scale is beyond my abilities & the tubing is thin enough I suspect it would be almost impossible to replicate.  So, since the rack isn't visible once the access panels are closed, I figured it wouldn't make that much difference.  Photo #1 is the original setup built as supplied in the kit.  Photos #2 & 3 are my solution  This is a fairly typical setup for a mapping mission.  The cameras are from a CMK resin kit designed for the Tanmodel RF-84 but, they're the right scale and very similar to the cameras the Banshee would have carried.  All that's required now is some paint & permanently mounting the cameras.1439295965_BansheeCameraSetup.jpg.aee05216e00cb857ba8e6685ee49f512.jpgIMG_20190707_174620.thumb.jpg.c67f201c92ce80d8fbd269627a0e780e.jpgIMG_20190707_174640.thumb.jpg.94e2cce63387a4db894223a7731c31d6.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a good, common sense solution to getting a more accurate layout int he nose. Thanks for sharing!

By the way....look into "Albion tubing"....they have a good variety of very thin metal tubing and rod; much thinner than available at hobby shops and made from brass, copper, and steel. I believe Sprue Bros. carries the stuff.

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks for the comment, Gil.  I've seen the rack and it would be rather a rather complicated structure to build in 48th scale.  I don't understand why Kitty Hawk didn't bother to make the camera setup more accurate.  I did attempt to install the original camera setup in the nose but, the lenses don't lineup with the windows.  The model in the D&S has the access panels open.  I think part of the reason the builder opened the panels is because of that.