So Vegas it is! Preliminary dates seem a little late though, Aug 18-21st I believe mid August. We shall see! A lot of kids are back in school then so it may affect youth categories and trying to get that family draw in a place with so much to do.

I'm absolutely thrilled by this news!! We go to Vegas once or twice a year, but next year we're missing out due to other trips/obligations.

So, to return in 2021 to the world's biggest model show in my Happy Place...? YEEEESSSSSS!

I believe the response from the dessert bar in lieu of a banquet has put the knife in the heart of any further awards banquets. 

It would be nice to have table service for drinks during the awards ceremony and open bars on the surrounding walls.  They had one in Chattanooga, but the room was so large (and full of people) that navigating around was difficult.  It might be nice, also, to consider table reservations for club members and spouses.  (That may be a bridge to far, I get it.) 

How many square feet did the Nooga Nats vender room have?  The contest room?  I think it was the biggest single vendor room I've seen. 

Well done Chattanooga.  You pulled it off.

Looking forward to Las Vegas.  I hope the Nellis tours come to fruition.  They had a good presentation and I expect a great show.  No excuses for great attendance from the west coast.  And the absolute cheapest air fare from the east coast.  AND the best room rate in memory. 

I'm sure all will miss the Bill and Aris show, and I wish Bill all the best as he steps aside as head aircraft judge.   I've learned much from him during the night of judging. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandallCox said:

I believe the response from the dessert bar in lieu of a banquet has put the knife in the heart of any further awards banquets. 

It would be nice to have table service for drinks during the awards ceremony and open bars on the surrounding walls.  They had one in Chattanooga, but the room was so large (and full of people) that navigating around was difficult.  It might be nice, also, to consider table reservations for club members and spouses.  (That may be a bridge to far, I get it.) 

How many square feet did the Nooga Nats vender room have?  The contest room?  I think it was the biggest single vendor room I've seen. 

Well done Chattanooga.  You pulled it off.

Looking forward to Las Vegas.  I hope the Nellis tours come to fruition.  They had a good presentation and I expect a great show.  No excuses for great attendance from the west coast.  And the absolute cheapest air fare from the east coast.  AND the best room rate in memory. 

I'm sure all will miss the Bill and Aris show, and I wish Bill all the best as he steps aside as head aircraft judge.   I've learned much from him during the night of judging. 

Randall,

First off, thanks for your kind words.  We tried hard and I think it showed.

Second, the vendor room was 64,000sf, and the model room was 36,000sf.  I believe both are the largest ever.

Third, while we did indeed try something new instead of a banquet and despite the trouble we had with it, it did seem well received, I wouldn't put the proverbial fork in the awards banquet yet.  We were fortunate in that the Chattanooga Convention Center has a large, reasonably priced banquet hall and that we weren't tied to a food and beverage requirement.  Many of the facilities that IPMS National Conventions go to have a food and beverage requirement and the only way to meet that is to hold a banquet.  In other words, we had some freedom that others probably don't and won't.

I'm glad you enjoyed the convention!

Mike Moore

2019 Convention Chairman

I thank everyone for their support of IPMS Las Vegas and our bid to host the 2021 National Convention in Las Vegas.  We look forward to working with many of you to make our show a fantastic success.  After Chattenooga show this past week, its going to be hard act to follow.  Congrats to those Nooga guys!  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MikeMoore said:

Third, while we did indeed try something new instead of a banquet and despite the trouble we had with it, it did seem well received, I wouldn't put the proverbial fork in the awards banquet yet.  We were fortunate in that the Chattanooga Convention Center has a large, reasonably priced banquet hall and that we weren't tied to a food and beverage requirement.  Many of the facilities that IPMS National Conventions go to have a food and beverage requirement and the only way to meet that is to hold a banquet.  In other words, we had some freedom that others probably don't and won't.

I can add veracity to that statement--Columbia was required, by the agreement with the venue, to host a banquet. 

I'm sorry I had to leave before the reception, but from what I hear it was a great idea. 

48 minutes ago, MikeMoore said:

...we weren't tied to a food and beverage requirement.  Many of the facilities that IPMS National Conventions go to have a food and beverage requirement and the only way to meet that is to hold a banquet...

Maybe the way to square the corner on that food & beverage requirement is to plus-up the Chattanooga format to a ticketed, catered buffet & cash bar; keep the informality while offering table reservations, overflow seating (and the cash bar) for the awards session and go from there. Perfect way to do a Texas BBQ, for example.

1 hour ago, VonL said:

Maybe the way to square the corner on that food & beverage requirement is to plus-up the Chattanooga format to a ticketed, catered buffet & cash bar; keep the informality while offering table reservations, overflow seating (and the cash bar) for the awards session and go from there. Perfect way to do a Texas BBQ, for example.

Bob,

What you're talking about is essentially what Phoenix did last year.  They had a buffet dinner.  I thought the food was actually pretty good, but being a hotel/convention facility, you are locked into ONE catering service and the dinner was probably double to triple what you might expect to pay at your typical restaurant, which leaves many out by choice because they decide not to pay that much, and many out by necessity, because they simply can't afford a meal that is that expensive.  We looked at several options for Saturday night.  A table service sit down dinner, a buffet BBQ dinner, heavy hors derves, you name it, we probably looked at it.  No matter what we concocted, we ended up with a dinner ticket that was going to costs us as hosts north of $40 per head.  So we tried to encourage folks to go get a meal of their choice and then come back for a $5 dessert.  I think the idea was well received, and many thanked us for it.  We did not however, execute it well, and that falls completely on my shoulders.

Your comment about reserved tables might be worth looking into.  I don't know what it might add to costs, but I suspect it would be negligible.  But what would you do about reserving less than a full table?  Besides, the times I've been to the banquet and had to sit with strangers have been great.  It was a great way to "force" me to make new friends.

The real problem though is with your idea of over-flow seating.  We were blessed in Chattanooga to have a facility that was almost perfectly sized, and that included our banquet hall.  We had plenty of space for seating not only those who were willing to pony up the princely sum of $5 for dessert that ran out, we were also able to set up another few hundred seats in a theater format for those who only wanted to see the awards.  Trust me, all convention hosts would like to be able to do that.  But space is like time...it can't be extended. 

Mike

2 minutes ago, MikeMoore said:

We were blessed in Chattanooga to have a facility that was almost perfectly sized, and that included our banquet hall. 

Mike Moore

How many square feet was the room you held the banquet in?  

I thought it was perfect!

Thanks

Bob L

Mike,

I would like to let you and your crew know that I, and my 2 travel companions had a "grand time", and would like to thank you very much for all your hard work putting the show on. BTW, this was my first time in Nooga, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Thanks again,

John Walker

4 hours ago, Boblvnv said:

Mike Moore

How many square feet was the room you held the banquet in?  

I thought it was perfect!

Thanks

Bob L

Bob, the Banquet hall is 18,000 sf. 

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Walker said:

Mike,

I would like to let you and your crew know that I, and my 2 travel companions had a "grand time", and would like to thank you very much for all your hard work putting the show on. BTW, this was my first time in Nooga, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Thanks again,

John Walker

Thanks so much John. I’ll let the whole team know. Glad to know you enjoyed your trip!

Mike

2 hours ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

What type of banquet requirements does the Rio have?

2021 is at the Rio??  Ok, that is a good location just off the strip.  When my wife and I go to Vegas, we like to stay in either Caesar or the Bellagio, but we generally go for a particular show(Elton John last time).  We are going in December to see Andre Bocelli and staying at the MGM Grand. The Rio is home to Penn & Teller.  They put on a great show!  Worth seeing!  Plenty of other entertainment if you get bored with looking at models.  Also some great stuff for significant others to do while you are ogling models.  If she goes off to the gaming tables, you can use her winnings to finance you plastic habit it she wins and justify it if she loses. 

Edited by PeteJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PeteJ said:

2021 is at the Rio??  Ok, that is a good location just off the strip.  When my wife and I go to Vegas, we like to stay in either Caesar or the Bellagio, but we generally go for a particular show(Elton John last time).  We are going in December to see Andre Bocelli and staying at the MGM Grand. The Rio is home to Penn & Teller.  They put on a great show!  Worth seeing!  Plenty of other entertainment if you get bored with looking at models.  Also some great stuff for significant others to do while you are ogling models.  If she goes off to the gaming tables, you can use her winnings to finance you plastic habit it she wins and justify it if she loses. 

Thanks....! We've been going to Vegas once or twice a year for the past 7 years or so. There's definitely no shortage of fun, that's for sure! We usually stay at The Cosmopolitan or Palms.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

What type of banquet requirements does the Rio have?

We manged to secure the RIO without a banquet requirement, just a flat rate for the convention space.  If anyone is looking to book a large-scale banquet or convention, I highly recommend Valarie Roach at HPN Global.  She receives a lot of the credit for the putting together our deal. 

• Like 1

My wife was happy to hear that 2020 will be in LV, as she can easily go shopping or lay by the pool while I attend the convention.  For us, LV is a much better location than Phoenix, although we have friends in Phoenix that we love to visit.  See everyone in LV next year!