I would think nothing is a sure thing unless the club makes a formal presentation and gets accepted by the Cmte.

Given the excellent Nationals that Omaha has put in the past at a great venue, and, if they are the only bidder, I would say it is is fair guess that we will be going back to Omaha. And that is just fine with me. Nick Filippone

38 minutes ago, Nick Filippone said:

Given the excellent Nationals that Omaha has put in the past at a great venue, and, if they are the only bidder, I would say it is is fair guess that we will be going back to Omaha. And that is just fine with me. Nick Filippone

I just wasn't sure if they had been given the nod last year or not. If they take bids for two years out and someone else bids, they could, theoretically award 2021 to someone else and Omaha 2022 given Omaha was two years ago.

Edited by sharkinman44

Omaha did not present a bid at the Bid Presentation in Phoenix. But they had prepared a flier that representatives from Omaha were distributing in the Vendor Room. I think it was to drum up support for the idea of returning in 2021 to Omaha. I assume that that is the bid referred to in the recent E-Board minutes. Certainly, if any other potential hosts were planning a bid for 2021 or 2022, they had better done some of the ground work by now. The National is only six weeks away! And, while it would only be two years between their last National and the bid, it would be four years between the two actual Omaha shows- not unreasonable! 

From the UK perspective LV would be great as a tourist with Nellis near by and a direct flight from London but i can see the vendor room taking a big hit like it did in Florida with so many other things to spend money on.. Omaha however has a good record every time they do the show and i really enjoyed going downtown and would love to go back. Hopefully we will get a two year announcement?

But every year I do wonder as trader  if it is time to address the length of the show, nowhere else does a show for so long with its high room costs to add to your travel. At Telford we do a show that has twice as many traders and two to three times as many customers through the doors on a Saturday and Sunday and our take can be as much as four time higher than we manage at the US Nationals. Now I know the scale of the US is slightly different but surely it is easier for people to attend a short show rather than have to take four to six days off work in the middle of summer? 

Every year we find it harder to justify coming over the pond and we need just one poor show now for us to have to seriously consider if we can afford to carry on which is a shame as this year will be our 22nd US Nationals. Ans i would like to thank all the chapters and who have made me so welcome over the last 6 years I have travelled across the pond representing SAM Publications.

D Francis

Editor

SAMi

• Like 1

If the Vegas guys who bid are the same guys who did in Phoenix; I'd be a bit leery about attending that one. Still, it'll be interesting to see what happens. One day, I might even be able to make an Omaha convention.

• Like 1

David might have a valid point about show length. I had not considered the extra expense to foreign travelers.

With Friday night judging, the most we could do in my opinion would be to eliminate the first day and open the show on Thursday afternoon (3pm?) for the early birds with just Friday and Saturday being the big days.

A compromise might be to have tours only during the first half of Thursday (or even all day) as if I want to do a tour it inevitably means I have to pick between the one tour I want to do and the one seminar I really want to do as it seems they are always scheduled for the same time.

This year will either validate or disprove the notion that we can do away with the banquet.

It's something to consider for the future.

Man, I understand the difficulties of some of our foreign guests getting there; I experience the same issues of cost myself when the convention so on the East and middle part of the country. Still, I'd hate the idea of shortening it; I personally would love to see it go longer myself since there never seems to be enough time to do everything, see everyone and look at everything on the tables that I really want to do.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Man, I understand the difficulties of some of our foreign guests getting there; I experience the same issues of cost myself when the convention so on the East and middle part of the country. Still, I'd hate the idea of shortening it; I personally would love to see it go longer myself since there never seems to be enough time to do everything, see everyone and look at everything on the tables that I really want to do.

Amen, I mean you don't have to go the entire four days. I show up on Tuesday to make sure I get the maximum amount of shenanigans in as possible. I do have to say there is stuff I buy in vendors rooms on Saturday that I would not have on the first couple days.

• 3 weeks later...

To Answer my Friend Mark Deliduka's question, the question is NO!   We (Las Vegas IPMS) did NOT make a bid presentation at the 2018 Nationals in Phoenix, that was Red Flag Scale Modelers also from Las Vegas.  As you know we host the Best of West Model-Con each year and feel Las Vegas would make a great city for a National Convention.  Our National Committee Team will be traveling to Chattanooga to make our bid presentation and we feel we have put together a fantastic program that would thrill convention attendees from around the country and beyond.  Thanks, Bob

On 7/3/2019 at 6:20 PM, Mark Deliduka said:

If the Vegas guys who bid are the same guys who did in Phoenix; I'd be a bit leery about attending that one. Still, it'll be interesting to see what happens. One day, I might even be able to make an Omaha convention.

On 6/26/2019 at 3:53 AM, Ron Bell said:

This year there are two bidders for 2021, Omaha and Las Vegas. 

To be clear, IPMS Las Vegas will be bidding for 2021.  We are not the same Las Vegas club that made a bid presentation in Phoenix in 2018. 

18 hours ago, Boblvnv said:

To Answer my Friend Mark Deliduka's question, the question is NO!   We (Las Vegas IPMS) did NOT make a bid presentation at the 2018 Nationals in Phoenix, that was Red Flag Scale Modelers also from Las Vegas.  As you know we host the Best of West Model-Con each year and feel Las Vegas would make a great city for a National Convention.  Our National Committee Team will be traveling to Chattanooga to make our bid presentation and we feel we have put together a fantastic program that would thrill convention attendees from around the country and beyond.  Thanks, Bob

Best of luck then. Having never been to LV, and as we use the Nats trip as a family vacation, we'd certainly like to visit. 😉

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 6:20 PM, Mark Deliduka said:

On 6/26/2019 at 3:53 AM, Ron Bell said:

This year there are two bidders for 2021, Omaha and Las Vegas. 

To be clear, IPMS Las Vegas will be bidding for 2021.  We are not the same Las Vegas club that made a bid presentation in Phoenix in 2018. 

On 7/24/2019 at 2:29 PM, Boblvnv said:

Excellent! That is fantastic as I now know you guys will put on a proper and excellent bid. I will look forward to seeing if you get it; I would love to be able to drive out to Vegas for this convention.

• Like 1

I'd be quite happy to see both Vegas and Omaha happen over the next few years; for all the right reasons. Hopefully one crew doesn't get butt-hurt and give up, if the other gets selected first.

Thanks for the kind words Von.  We have a tremendous amount of respect for Omaha and the wonderful shows they host.  We believe we can offer IPMS and our members something new and exciting with our proposal.  As for who gets selected first or at all, our commitment to this organization and our hobby is our main priority.  What is best for IPMS, is best for us.

• Like 1