Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfman63

1/48 Hasegawa Ki-45 TORYU "NICK"

Recommended Posts

This build is the 1/48 Hasegawa Ki-45 Toryu (nicknamed “Nick”) and the scheme is the Manchukuo Air Corps version. The Ki-45 is a twin engine heavy fighter and was used for ground attack and as an interceptor. Manchukuo was a puppet state of Japan in located Manchuria that aided Japan in their Indo-China operations and later intercepting U.S. B-29’s that were fire bombing Japan.

For this build I will be using the CMK resin cockpit detail set.  I started by removing all the parts from the resin casting. The cockpit tub required very little trimming to fit in the fuselage. After some detail painting and adding some photo etch accessories I started installing the cockpit. I then found some errors in the CMK instructions. The first was the instructions show the dashboard mounted too far forward and does not show the control pedals. I had to remove it then relocated it to the correct position and added the control pedals. The second issue is the instructions do not inform you that the top of the dash on the kit needs to be notched in order to fit the cannon gun sight.  Once these minor issues were corrected the cockpit tub fit in without any problems.  I am now moving on to the wings and engine/landing gear bays.

You can follow along on my blog in the build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-ki-45-toryu-nick/

 

dscn2049.jpg

 

dscn2055.jpg

 

dscn2069.jpg

 

dscn2072.jpg

 

dscn2073.jpg

 

dscn2074.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Continuing forward I assembled the wings and detailed the main landing gear bays. I assembled the rear gun using the resin version and the photo etch gun sight and mounted the cannon gun sight above the dash. I then mount the wings. Found another issue when mounting them. The kit has spars to support the wings. I ended up cutting these off the kit assembly and attaching them to the fuselage. It was not difficult and the wings lined up very well to the fuselage. The engines came then. They were detail painted and then the copper intercooler for the intake was installed.  The engines were then put into their cowls and mounted to the wings. The wings were then installed and the entire fuselage was painted with the base coat. Weathered and added the belly 37mm cannon and then the landing gear was painted and installed. Next up will be the camouflage painting.

You can see all the photos and details from the start in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-ki-45-toryu-nick/

 

dscn2095.jpg

 

dscn2106.jpg

 

dscn2110.jpg

 

dscn2119.jpg

 

dscn2120.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another great start for a true masterpiece. 

 

Regards

Christopher

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool. I am working on the 1/32 kit from Zoukei Mura for an IPMS review and this is great for me to compare

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tedious painting on the Ki-45 camouflage continues. I tried masking the pattern and realized it was actually easier to just hand paint the jungle camouflage. The base coat is Japanese Army light green and the camouflage is Japanese Army dark green. In the end I really like the look of this camouflage. I then painted the wing leading edges yellow and the white fuselage stripe just forward of the tail. For the wing landing light I painted the light bezel chrome silver and filled it up with acrylic gel to simulate the lens.

See all the details and photos in the blog build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-ki-45-toryu-nick/

At this point I move the model to another table and upgraded the work bench area by adding work table to organize the work surface. Check out the updated photos of the working area on my blog at https://davidsscalemodels.com/gallery/the-studio/

 

dscn2128.jpg

 

dscn2133.jpg

 

dscn2135.jpg

 

dscn2140.jpg

 

dscn2148.jpg

 

The new workspace

 

dscn2141.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy cow! That is some SHARP camo painting! What green were you using, that covered so well without brush strokes?

 

GIL :smiley16:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The paint is Tamiya Japanese Army Dark Green (XF-13). I thinned it 60/40. Thinning it does not leave brush marks and lightens it slightly and makes the edges not as sharp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The1/48 Hasegawa  Ki-45 TOYRU (NICK) is now done. The fit is very good. The decals went on well but the Manchukuo Air Corps logos do not have a white backing so the camouflage shows thru a bit on the top. The only other issue is the pilots canopy is two pieces and it is a butt fit so getting the correct distance so it fits the fuselage required a fixture. I measured the width it needed to be than taped each side onto a piece of cardboard and then glued the center seam. Overall I would recommend this kit.

 

You can see all the details and photos from start to finish in my build log at  https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-ki-45-toryu-nick/

 

dscn2151.jpg

 

dscn2154.jpg

 

dscn2155.jpg

 

dscn2158.jpg

 

dscn2160.jpg

 

dscn2162.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...