Super Glue Fire Hazard

LesWalden

At our last meeting one of the guys mentioned a hazard with super glue burning you. It seems he got some one his clothing and it caused enough heat to burn him. I don't know if this is a problem with all clothing materials or just some. I'm reluctant to be a "Test Dummy" for it.

And, if you do spill some on your skin, don't shoot accelerator onto the glue--it WILL burn you. Even tap water can accelerate the cure enough to cause burns. If you spill it on your hand, wipe off the excess with a paper towel, then go run some water on your hands once the glue has cured. You'll still have super glue on your hands, but I find that running water on my hands helps to cause the glue to begin flaking off almost immediately.

R

And, if you do spill some on your skin, don't shoot accelerator onto the glue--it WILL burn you. Even tap water can accelerate the cure enough to cause burns. If you spill it on your hand, wipe off the excess with a paper towel, then go run some water on your hands once the glue has cured. You'll still have super glue on your hands, but I find that running water on my hands helps to cause the glue to begin flaking off almost immediately.

R

I learned this the hard way. as gluing something and got some excess superglue on my thumb. Sprayed the kit part with accelerator, and man, did it generate HEAT! Blistered my thumb. Be careful out there.

It's true. An amazing amount of heat displaced by the rapid curing reaction.

I've burned my hands, and nearly started a workbench fire with a paper-towel/superglue spill. Damn, did that smoke! It;s a wonder I get the things done that I do....

Super glue reacts to water, so when you see smoke it’s coming from the heat generated by the reaction to the water on the material or body part. If you smell the smoke it has a very pungent odor, a chemical smell that will burn if inhaled. That’s why you should use it in a well ventilated area.

Here is a link for more details; http://home.howstuffworks.com/question695.htm

MSDS with hazards; http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/safety/MS...UPER%20GLUE.htm

Great tips guys!

I have to say that I have often glued things together that "didn't belong" but I haven't come close to setting anything on fire. Yet...