Jump to content
Bradley25mm

Trumpeter 1/32nd scale SU-27 Flanker B

Recommended Posts

All,

            Was curious if anyone out there has built this kit? If so, did you encounter any fit issues with the wings to the fuselage? I just started it. It’s MASSIVE. Thanks in advance.

 

Christopher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Gil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to seeing pics of your work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                  Back at it again. All the parts have been removed from the sprues, filled, sanded, and primed. The weapons took the longest to get ready. Trumpeter did a good job of not making the fins to thick on the missiles. I used several different sets of photo etch from Eduard. Interior, and exterior.  She's a big one, for sure. The Hornet is 1/32nd scale. I keep on saying that I won't get another big kit, yet here I am again. The kit came with a choice of either plastic, or white metal landing gear. Due to the size and weight of the kit, I chose to use the white metal gear. The base for this one is going to be pretty small.

 

Regards

Christopher

SU 1.jpg

SU 2.jpg

SU 3.jpg

SU 4.jpg

SU 5.jpg

SU 6.jpg

SU 7.jpg

SU 8.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking great so far!

As for another big kit, it isn't...it's ultra big.

Cockpit looks fantastic.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

            Thanks Bill. All the sub assemblies have been completed. The missiles took quite a long time to paint and apply decals. I got this kit at a swap meet from a vendor. After a closer inspection of the kit, I noticed that it had been subjected to a lot of moisture. There was actually a light film of mold on top of the decal sheet. With a damp rag, it wiped right off. The staples were rusted on the instructions. The decals were a challenge. I experimented with pre-shading on the rudders, and elevators. 

            I did something pretty stupid. I assembled the wings with the leading edge slates installed , WITHOUT looking at the instructions first. When it came time to attach the wings to the fuselage, they would not fit. After using a few #11 blades to carefully remove the slates and some sandpaper, the problem was fixed. I'll never do that again.

 

Regards

Christopher

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                           Well, I'm finally in the homestretch. Everything is ready for decals, then a pin wash of artist oils thinned with mineral spirits. I was not happy with the exhaust nozzles. Again, I got in a rush, and did not look at any photos before I started. I stripped them down to bare plastic and started over. I used Testor's metalizer lacquer on the nozzles, and engine panels on the rear of the fuselage. Buffing, and non-buffing. 5 different colors. These are for airbrushing only. No need to thin them. Easy to work with. The heat marks are Tamiya clear blue thinned down. No fit issues at all on the rudders. After a little sanding, they fit perfect. No need for putty either. I should be able to start on the base this weekend. 

Regards

Christopher

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is beautifully done! I really love the burnt metal effect on the exhaust cones!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a lot Mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decals on and have started the weathering.

61F79022-DF9D-4DF5-8824-0BDD5ABA50C5.jpeg

F7C15C4E-083A-4A7E-94B1-D371CF287FFA.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicely done.  That's a very cool looking scheme and well executed.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful work! Man, that's a lot of stencils! Sensational work so far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                                                                         Thanks Bill. I lightly hand traced the pattern with a pencil, then used poster putty as a mask. Thanks again Mark. The decals were a combination of kit, and aftermarket. Took some time to apply them. Completed the base this morning. I made taxi light from my scrap box. The static grass is from a company in Germany. I used masking tape and pastel chalks to simulate tire marks on the taxi way. She's a big one. The base measures 22 3/4 by 26 3/4. Good times indeed.

 

Regards

Christopher

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg

k.jpg

l.jpg

m.jpg

n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, she looks fast just sitting still on that runway! Superlative work man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...