Amphibious Assault Ship Deck Construction

Bradley25mm

All,

I wanted to pass this along to the group.  I recently completed the Academy 1/35th scale AH-1Z Viper. I like to make my own bases. I can make them any size I need. Just about all the supplies that you need, can be purchased at any home improvement store. The brass tiedowns are from Tom's Modelworks. The tools that I use are to build these are : Portable Table saw, Miter saw, Brad nailer, and air compressor. If you do not have these tools, no problem. Trophy shops carry blank bases that are already finished, and with a decorative edge. They also come in different sizes. Here is my supply list; 3/4" plywood, sandpaper, (The scale of the model will determine the grit that you will use. I use the following as a guide: 1/32nd, 1/35th scale: 80 grit. 1/48th scale: 100 grit. 1/72nd, 1/144th scale: 220 grit.) Blue painters tape, Contact Adhesive, Steel ruler, Magic marker, punch drive set, old cutting board, wall paper seam roller, decorative trim, wood stain, finish putty, and gloss polyurethane.

Step 1. Determine the size of the base. For me, I like the base to be just a little bit bigger than the model. Step 2. Cut the sandpaper to fit the base. I like to pose my models on their bases at a 45 degree angle. When I lay my sandpaper out, I stagger all my seams.  After all the pieces are cut, I take blue painters tape and tape the top pieces together. I carefully turn the sandpaper over to expose the back side. I take a steel ruler, and black magic marker to establish a grid system. Where the lines intersect, is where I need to punch a hole for the tie downs. Step 3. Punch holes for your tie downs. I use a drive pin punch set to make the holes in the sandpaper. The edge of the punch is very sharp. The cutting board protects the end of the punch to keep it sharp.Place the "old" cutting board under the sandpaper, place the end of the punch over the intersecting lines, take a large hammer ( 22 oz. framing hammer, or small sledge hammer), and squarely strike the end of the punch.

Step 4. Attach the sandpaper to the base. Sand the base with 80 grit sandpaper, and tack out with mineral spirits. This helps with better adhesion. Let the mineral spirits dry for about 10 mins before you start.  I use contact adhesive on both the wood, AND the sandpaper. I do a section at a time. I tape off the surrounding areas to keep the adhesive where I want it. After I spray both, I let them tack up for a few minutes. Once the pieces are on, I roll them with a wall paper seam roller. Step 5. Dimple the wood for the tie downs. This adds depth for the hole. Because the wood is soft, you need to be careful not to strike the punch to hard. ( the hole will be to deep). Step 6. Attach the Tie Downs. Attach with super glue. Step 7. Paint the base. I use Testors, and Tamiya paints on the sandpaper. Both work great. Step 8 Add the decorative trim edge to the plywood. Stain trim, then coat with gloss polyurethane. After everything dries, I attach the model with super glue on the tires, or skids.

Regards

Christopher

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

b7.jpg

b8.jpg

b9.jpg

b10.jpg