Last Exile Vanship

rtv

This is Hasegawa’s Vanship in 1/72.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0q5oqs3qcpRtc

A Vanship is a flying machine from the anime TV series “Last Exile: Fam, The Silver Wing”.  I actually saw the model first and was intrigued by the design, so I watched the series.  It’s pretty good.

What attracted me by the design was the mix of retro styling combined with a sci-fi element.  It’s similar to steampunk, but instead of victorian era designs, this is looks more 1930s or so.

I used Mr Hobby Surfacer for the primer.  The metal bits towards the front were done using Mission Models chrome over Tamiya gloss black.  I kept the coverage thin to make the metal look dark.  The metal bits at the rear were done using various Testors/Model-Master flat metallics dry brushed over Tamiya flat black.  (I’m experimenting with various ways to simulate metals).  The red and white bits were painted with Mission Models paints and then covered with Tamiya’s clear gloss.  I used no clear coat over the metal bits.

This is the first model I’ve done that needed to be finished glossy.  All my previous stuff were finished in flat, and while there may have been an intermediate gloss coat for decals and/or weathering, I didn’t really care how good the gloss looked because I was just going to spray over it in flat.  Not so on this model; the subject is supposed to have a gloss finish.  While the result isn’t terrible, it certainly doesn’t look like it’s going to ripple if it’s touched.  I’ve seen much better gloss coats, albeit on larger scale models.  I tried using a bit of Novus #2 on the gloss coat, with no effect.  That Tamiya gloss dries hard.

• 1 month later...

Nice build.

I did one for a review here.

spacer.png