Wood Ships/Rules

dan

At our Annual Show this year a Wood Ship Model was in entered  in  the Contest.  What is stance or Rule for this since we are a "Plastic Model Society?

Thanks

Dan Bauer

"Our" rules only apply to the IPMSUSA NATIONAL CONTEST at the yearly Nats convention. So the question is: What did the rules for the contest you attended say? THAT is where the answer lies.

IPMUSA rules for the Nats are frequently used as guidelines and basic frameworks for most IPMS shows, but are in NO WAY binding on ANY local or regional contest. Each of those shows set their own rules.

IPMSUSA has very lenient rules for defining "plastic models", which I personally disagree with. I agree with you in that we are a society for builders of plastic kits. While we can appreciate the craftsmanship applied to other mediums in modeling, it's not what WE do. However, the NCC makes the rules for the IPMSUSA Nats and they tend to be a bit more broad minded and inclusive (though I'm not sure a wooden ship model would be allowed in the CONTEST).

Did the contest in question have any rules allowing or restricting kit composition?

GIL :cool:

But then there would be no figures because they are almost always made of something other than plastic. Oops! There go a few more IPMS members. Embrace diversity, Gil! Regards, Nick

Screw diversity Nick......the "figures" argument is not what we're discussing, and has always been a weak argument for trying to be "inclusive". The P in IPMS is for plastic. We're a society that buys plastic parts in boxes and builds them. No one is saying that NO other medium should be allowed to be used in, on, or around a PLASTIC model. However, I do NOT think wooden, or even completely photo-etched (metal) models should be a part of us. Why do we disallow metal die-casts yet approve of pe kits? Makes no sense, creates confusion, and it's hypocritical.

We're not discussing the diversity of building ANY genre of plastic kit; which I do embrace! I'm not suggesting that IPMSUSA should remain stagnant and not reach out to the emerging and growing group of PLASTIC modelers who build Gundams, Sci-fi, and other less "traditional" kits (up to this point). I am saying IPMSUSA needs to stop trying to desperately reach out to any one who glues anything together. We need to know who we are, embrace that, and concentrate on THAT group of people.

But you have no worries....the NCC and Eboard embrace your point of view...not mine!

GIL :cool:

Edited by ghodges