Academy 1/35th scale AH-1Z Viper

Bradley25mm

Gentlemen,

If your a rotor head like me, you need to get this kit. I picked it up from my hobby store here last week. Academy did a great job putting this one together. My only issue is the lack of seatbelts. I’ll make some up from my spare parts cabinet. Academy has incorporated slide molding on several of the parts in the kit.( tail boom, weapons pylons). The surface detail is very good, and not over scaled.

The fit of the parts is great. Decals are from Cartograf. I’ve already got a lot of the model built, (Thanks to slide molding). The hellfire missiles also come in one piece. The main rotor built quickly, but took a while to paint. The tailrotor, and 90 degree gear box have a lot of detail.  I should be done with the model by Wednesday. I’ll start working on the display base Thursday. 

Regards 

Christopher.

01530CF0-882B-420D-8D26-762B92157E7C.jpeg

• Like 1

Coming along nicely.  The fit of the parts have been fantastic so far.  All of the main components are painted and assembled. The tail rotor and main rotor head are well detailed. The main rotor blades have a little pitch molded into them. I changed out the pitch control tubes that attach to the swashplate with larger ones. I used white thread for the wiring on the 90 degree gearbox. I used Testor Fabric spray paint to simulate the texture on the 2.75" rocket pods.

viper 1.jpg

viper 2.jpg

viper 3.jpg

viper 4.jpg

viper 5.jpg

viper 6.jpg

viper 7.jpg

viper 8.jpg

viper 9.jpg

viper 10.jpg

viper 11.jpg

viper 12.jpg

viper 13.jpg

viper 14.jpg

viper 15.jpg

viper 16.jpg

Beautiful work! This is one phenomenal model already! Way to go!

I'm just hoping someone releases one of these in 1/72 scale so I can add it to my collection. Keep it coming man!

Thanks a lot Mark. Have you considered the Kitty Hawk 1/48th scale kit? Adding it to your collection. You would do an awesome job on it.

Regards

Christopher

The helicopter is just about finished. I have to add some pastel chalk streaks, and REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT tags. I've started on the base todays

v-1.jpg

v-2.jpg

v-3.jpg

v-9.jpg

v-17.jpg

v-6.jpg

v-7.jpg

v-8.jpg

v-10.jpg

v-11.jpg

v-12.jpg

v-13.jpg

v-14.jpg

v-15.jpg

v-16.jpg

v-18.jpg

v-19.jpg

v-20.jpg

v-21.jpg

• Like 1

Finally completed the base. I'm happy with it. This was a really fun build. Academy consistently put out great kits. This one, by far, has been their best.

Regards

Christopher

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gentlemen, (Ladies)

I just wanted to pass this along to anyone interested in building this kit. I still use enamels when painting my builds. Testor Model Master, to be exact. After referring to the paint chart recommended by Academy, I went to my local hobby store to pick up the colors. The paints went on great, as always. The problem was that the kit supplied decals were almost invisible when I applied them. After a shot of Dull Coat, they faded even more. Practically nonexistent.  I want to say that Academy provides really good decals in their kits. I've never had any issues before with them. (And I've built A LOT of them).I just think that they missed the mark on this ONE kit. I purchased the below decal sheet yesterday. They are made by Flying Leathernecks Decals. These are the best decals I've used in a very long time. They even include a very realistic vinyl sticker for the front sensor ball above the gun. I've always had a hard time replicating the color. This company has nailed it. I hope this helps someone incase they are still using Testor Model Master Paints

Regards

Christopher

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Awesome, build and detail are top shelf.  I am almost near completion of his same kit, ( first chopper, second build in about 30 years).  I will upload when complete, I only wish it comes close to your level of detail