P-51D Question and Help Needed

dmorrissette

Hi All:

So I want to build a 1/32 P-51D and I want some scheme with invasion stripes. I am by no means a P-51 expert so does anyone have any recommendations of cool schemes with invasion stripes that I could paint it up as?

Dave

Dave, 

There is a scheme that has alittle of everything you might be looking for. The P-51D goes by the name “Hurry Home Honey”. I hope this helps. I would try my best to stay away from the Dragon kit. It’s well, NOT good.

Regards

Christopher

BC993F73-0B46-4B0E-96FB-F9822582468A.jpeg

Edited by Bradley25mm
Added text.

That's a really nice recommendation with a little bit of everything....some NMF, camo green topsides, colorful spinner and checkered nose, as well as the invasion stripes.

Dave: What kit will you build? The key to picking your scheme may lie there. Most of the 1/32 P-51Ds have the fin filet. I believe only the new Revell 1/32 kit gives you the option of no filet OOTB, but that kit is currently difficult to get.  You'll need to find a scheme with the "filet" you want, OR remove the filet (not hard to do) if your scheme requires it (like Preddy's "Cripes A Mighty 3rd") and you don't have the Revell kit.

The next consideration is do you want a NMF plane, a camo finish, or (as above) a combination of both? And lastly, do you want to paint full invasion stripes, or partial stripes? Full stripes were in place for a month or two after D-day. However, by the fall they were being painted out on the topsides, especially on camo bearing planes since they negated the camo.

Decisions, decisions....Personally, my favortie has always been Preddy's....

image.png.f7087e02815b9425a38a513e5bac8cf8.png

GIL :cool:

Hi Chris and Gil:

I have the Tamiya 1/32 P-51D kit and it may/may not have a filet on the tail ( I do like those markings). Chris- love those too. And thanks for the offer. I'll dig into the kit tomorrow night

Dave