helicopter Diorama/ figures

shark64

Hi

My Name is Oliver, i mostly build helicopters in 1/35 scale. I have moved towards dioramas but sadly i do not paint figures yet. I am in the process of finishing an US Navy helicopter diorama with 8 figures. My question is:  Can i compete in an IPMS event under the diorama section if i did not paint the figures (the rest of the work is all mine) ?.  I have read IPMS rule book but it is unclear to me.

Thanks

Oliver

Hi Oliver! I'm hoping one of the NCC Head Judges will chime in here soon to give a definitive answer. However, in my opinion as a national IPMS judge for 25yrs, If I understand you correctly, the answer will be no.

The rules state that an entry must be the entire work of a single builder. If you enter a diorama where someone else besides yourself painted the figures in the diorama, then the diorama (as a whole, and that is how it is judged, on the "whole") is the work of you AND another. That, by definition means it's NOT the work of a single builder, and thus should be disqualified.

Keep in mind that the reason and the "spirit" behind the rule is to keep a builder with a weak area (such as painting figures, in your case) from getting "expert help" in order to get a better result than they could achieve all by themselves. Thus, letting someone else paint the figures for your dio, especially in order to get better looking figures than you could do yourself, wouldn't be fair to everyone else who had to do all of the work on their own dios all by themselves.

GIL :cool:

2 hours ago, ghodges said:

Hi Oliver! I'm hoping one of the NCC Head Judges will chime in here soon to give a definitive answer. However, in my opinion as a national IPMS judge for 25yrs, If I understand you correctly, the answer will be no.

The rules state that an entry must be the entire work of a single builder. If you enter a diorama where someone else besides yourself painted the figures in the diorama, then the diorama (as a whole, and that is how it is judged, on the "whole") is the work of you AND another. That, by definition means it's NOT the work of a single builder, and thus should be disqualified.

Keep in mind that the reason and the "spirit" behind the rule is to keep a builder with a weak area (such as painting figures, in your case) from getting "expert help" in order to get a better result than they could achieve all by themselves. Thus, letting someone else paint the figures for your dio, especially in order to get better looking figures than you could do yourself, wouldn't be fair to everyone else who had to do all of the work on their own dios all by themselves.

GIL :cool:

Gil,

Thanks i appreciate the reply, it makes perfect sense.  Sounds like "display Only" . Someone had mention at my club that the dio could be entered as Join venture. 

Oliver

It may be enterable in the Group Build category.   There is no limitation on the numbers of participants in a group.  Participants should, however,  be members of IPMS.  

I have seen single group build entries, particularly in cars, where one person paints the body, another details the engine, another the interior, etc. The spread of the scope of work was equivalent.   Your entry may be limited as the bulk of the scope of work is one person while a second’s contribution is minimal. 

Ed Grune

NCC Ship Judge

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2019 at 6:39 AM, EFGrune said:

It may be enterable in the Group Build category.   There is no limitation on the numbers of participants in a group.  Participants should, however,  be members of IPMS.  

I have seen single group build entries, particularly in cars, where one person paints the body, another details the engine, another the interior, etc. The spread of the scope of work was equivalent.   Your entry may be limited as the bulk of the scope of work is one person while a second’s contribution is minimal. 

Ed Grune

NCC Ship Judge

Thanks for the info.