Second Original Aurora Creature Restoration

cpspoogie

Here’s another save from someone’s childhood (before pic at end).  Stripped, fixed in spots and 100% hand painted back to glory...no airbrushing here.  Here’s a few progress pics.  Tks for looking and your comments are welcome. 

2AAAA8B8-D0ED-44C9-909A-550D6FF9C896.jpeg

CA6AAF47-1774-4144-A82A-53A639372E60.jpeg

5883A2DB-1E99-4BCB-B92C-F20AE6B71F66.jpeg

FB908CE4-3627-409A-9FB6-05476751BF1C.jpeg

• Like 1

The Creature Brothers.  One on left is my first and a keeper, and I may put the other and future ones up for sale at some point...I don’t know.  Neither is finished but I’m happy with the technique so I can reproduce it a couple times.  

19808C0A-08D2-41B5-A2A5-AE17862E3597.jpeg

• Like 1

Cool. I built all of the Aurora monster models when I was in jr. high school. I think my mom still has my "Hunchback of Notre Dame" somewhere.

3 hours ago, davidh41 said:

Cool. I built all of the Aurora monster models when I was in jr. high school. I think my mom still has my "Hunchback of Notre Dame" somewhere.

They’re a lot of fun and I’d done right, you can really appreciate the expert sculpting by Bill Lemon on those Aurora kits of the 60s.  

• Like 1

Very nice job!

I too had them all growing up. But at one point Dad thought I should "too old for toys",  and they all went...

Very nice, I built many of the monster models and picked up many as reissues. When I first got them, they had the glow in the dark optional parts. Most of mine were left unpainted (glow parts). Creature, Wolfman, Frankenstein, Phantom, Dr. Jekyll and the Mummy come to mind.

1 hour ago, Roktman said:

Very nice job!

I too had them all growing up. But at one point Dad thought I should "too old for toys",  and they all went...

Ugh...my Dad did something similar...

1 hour ago, Roktman said:

Very nice job!

50 minutes ago, RGronovius said:

Very nice, I built many of the monster models and picked up many as reissues. When I first got them, they had the glow in the dark optional parts. Most of mine were left unpainted (glow parts). Creature, Wolfman, Frankenstein, Phantom, Dr. Jekyll and the Mummy come to mind.

Thanks much.  Yes the glow versions came later and all versions of these original kits are expensive.  

I do also recall clear colored plastic versions that advertised glow under blacklights. I did get a Frankenstein reissue molded in clear. My now 22 yr old so still has a wolfman he painted poorly as a child on display in his room. My kids will have fond memories of these old kits like I do.

2 hours ago, RGronovius said:

I do also recall clear colored plastic versions that advertised glow under blacklights. I did get a Frankenstein reissue molded in clear. My now 22 yr old so still has a wolfman he painted poorly as a child on display in his room. My kids will have fond memories of these old kits like I do.

Those kits are called Illuminators.  They did several monsters, a few cars and airplanes.  

Finished.  It is all original except for the tiny snake head and lizard tongue are from the Polar Lights Customizing Kit repop. The snake tongue I had to make because they’re nearly impossible to find. 

B7911FB3-9C72-47E6-A91C-5808D5ADE80E.jpeg

2B94D406-8A69-4F55-A099-26099572A2D0.jpeg

E561AF7D-4254-44B6-AB6F-A4C4D85F4A92.jpeg

2DC7C7B9-2064-434B-86CB-A43C2F916B4F.jpeg