Hello from Atlanta

rtv

I'm coming back to the hobby after a hiatus.  The last time I built anything, the internet existed but the world-wide-web did not.  There wasn't any online shopping back then.  Now, I'm amazed at all the stuff I can find out there.  There's even a new genre or two (giant robots?  really?).

I used to do a lot of WW2 and modern era aircraft, but since returning, I've done some more fictional subjects.  I've done a couple of Warhammer kits and a few kits based on anime subjects (but not the giant robots).  I've not given up on the kits based on real subjects, and will probably return to them at some point.

I'd describe myself as a "casual" modeller, I'm not interested in winning or even entering any contests.  I learn something new with every kit I put together and I suppose that's what I'm looking for.

Glad to have you here with us Robert! Not only have the available subjects grown, but also their quality. I think you'll find most of the newer kits to be much nicer than those you may have built 25yrs ago. On the down side, they are more expensive than ever before. But, you can use this site and others to find kit reviews and build reviews so as to spend your money to get the best bang for your buck.

I like your approach to building....while it can be satisfying to win some sort of recognition; it also adds some headaches and stress to the hobby by trying to build to compete. Like you, the older I get, the more I find that building for FUN gives me much more satisfaction!

Jump in and enjoy yourself!

GIL :cool:

Welcome Robert and welcome back to the Hobby! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work. While I do go to contests, I always build for fun; which is why I don't win much. Still, I go because I enjoy the camaraderie and quality of other modelers that I see at the shows. It's fun to place my stuff on the tables and discuss it with fellow enthusiasts.

Anyway, build what you like and like how you build. And don't forget to show us some of your work! We love looking at models here!