Bought used Academy 1/150 Cutty Sark ship and need tree B

Guarddog32

Hi all, glad to be a member.  Happy modeling to all.  I bought a plastic model of the Cutty Sark sailing ship made by Academy, the 1/150 scale version and I am missing the 3 main poles that the cross members go on to mount all the sails on, so without them, it is impossible to build the model.  The 3 pieces are on the tree marked B, I was wondering if anyone knows who sells replacement trees for Academy ship models or if anyone has a spare B tree for that model that they would be willing to sell.  I tried contacting Academy by email in Korea, but they haven't responded.  I also tried contacting their distributor in the US and they said they don't help people with parts when they have bought used models, they only replace parts from models that have been purchased in a hobby shop.  Any help you all could give would be highly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Rich J

Maybe try contacting the US distributer again and don't mention how you got the kit.  You didn't keep the receipt from where you purchased it as it was in the pile of kits to be built and you finally got around to build it.

Just a thought.

Bill

3 minutes ago, WildBill50 said:

Maybe try contacting the US distributer again and don't mention how you got the kit.  You didn't keep the receipt from where you purchased it as it was in the pile of kits to be built and you finally got around to build it.

Just a thought.

Bill

Thanks for responding WildBill50, I appreciate it.  You are the only one with a suggestion so far lol.  I wouldn't be able to do that though, I am a practicing true Christian, and one of the obligations of being a TRUE christian is to be honest in ALL things, even though it may be inconvenient to do so.  I sent the model back to the buyer in the meantime as I was not able to track the part down anywhere, oh well, I tried.  🙂

I have a better idea. I have used this approach myself. Contact Academy and be  honest. Then ask them if you can buy the sprue you need. The worst that can happen is that they say no. With luck they will charge you a few bucks to sell it to you. Good luck. Nick Filippone

6 minutes ago, Nick Filippone said:

I have a better idea. I have used this approach myself. Contact Academy and be  honest. Then ask them if you can buy the sprue you need. The worst that can happen is that they say no. With luck they will charge you a few bucks to sell it to you. Good luck. Nick Filippone

Thanks Nick and I already tried that and they wont respond to my emails.  They are a Korea based company and I heard from others they are not to good with customer support outside of their country.  I have another model from them that I needed a part for and had emailed them about it and they never responded to that either.  They have nice models, but their customer service has ALOT to be desired. Thanks for your tip though buddy and take care. 🙂

• 2 months later...

Best give up on Academy altogether if their service is that bad. But, you have exposed the risks of buying second hand kits in general. If you are still looking to make the Cutty Sark look for the ones by Airfix  and Revell.

• 4 weeks later...

DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP (model)!

Strongly suggest doing the spars (and masts) of these in real wood, or even brass, vs. plastic. Time-consuming, yes, but 1000% more structurally sound and forgiving during the rigging process. You will never go back. There is a set of random sized wood spars available for this kind of thing (Micro-Mark?). If you can't find that, send me a PM and the sizes you need. I'll check my stash...sketchy odds there.