AFV U-2A Dragon Lady

nmertes

Got my kit of the AFV U-2A Dragon Lady today.  From the reviews I've read online there are some inaccuracies in the canopy, nose, & intakes.  That's okay.  It looks like it will make up into a very nice model.  There is an extra cockpit tub & Q-bay cover indicating there may be more versions in the works.  I'd like to see at least a U-2C & TR-1/U-2R.  What makes this kit really sing to me is the inclusion of a full camera set including the trolley and the canopy cover.  The only negatives I've noticed is the canopy cover doesn't show any fabric texture.  The few times I saw a U-2 during my Air Force career it looked like the canopy was made of canvas fabric which has a fairly heavy texture.  It would have shown very nicely in 1/48th.  Secondly, the instrument panel is only a piece of clear plastic.  There is no decal to put on the back to show instrument faces.  While this kit is fairly far down on my build list, I"m looking forward to working on it.  Hope Eduard or some of the other resin parts companies come out with some goodies for it.

I'm betting you're right....the aftermarket people will be quick to cover any shortcomings in the kit, including corrections for those that care about the imperfections. In any case, even with any problems the kit may have, it has to be head and shoulders above the old Hawk/Testors kit!

GIL :cool:

Looking at the instructions this morning, I noticed an interesting mistake.  The sprue drawings on the back page show sprue F (the Trimetrogon camera) twice.  Unfortunately, there is only 1 F sprue.  Would like to have 2 sprues.  The camera set would make a nice kit all by itself.  

Looking forward to your review, Dave.  I'm hoping they come out with newer versions.  Caracal Decals already has a sheet available for the U-2R/S.