Close Encounters

Roktman

I found this little reissue kit while at Yay Monsters looking for something else.  Not many Close encounters kits around, and being small I figured it filled a little niche.

The kit comes in 4 resin parts a length of wire and a length of clear rod -
IMG_3443.jpg

Being I want the mother-ship metallic, I primed the ship parts in gloss black.
IMG_3444.jpg

Devils Tower got a black primer and increasingly lighter drybrushing of gray. The ground area got the same treatment with brown.
IMG_3445.jpg

I added some green turf to imitate the surround trees and then, I felt to make it a little more accurate, I pulled up some trees and added that runway. I also cut a few tiny pieces a square stock and added them as buildings.
The kit gives you a length of wire for all the antenna, but I felt that wire too thick. I happened to have some thin styrene rod, so I used that instead.
IMG_3448.jpg

One thing I discovered thankfully before it was to late, that if looking at the photo on the instructions, it shows one part sitting into the next, and the next. But no! The middle part sits back to back with the smallest part. This gives you the little alcove for the "city" part. If you build this kit watch for that.

Looking at the ship you see zillions of lights all over it including what looks like city lights on certain parts. So I went into zen mode and painted in zillions of dots in blue and white. The dots are way out of scale but - - whadda ya going to do?  😉 Thanks for looking.
IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3449-1.jpg
Closeup

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg
Size comparison

9 hours ago, WildBill50 said:

Now I have a taste for mashed potatoes.

Nicely done sir!

Bill

Haha yeah!  Thanks!