JUDGE'S FEEDBACK

Dakimbrell

In the cases I’m referring to, there was no real tie. The judging team had no real problem coming to an agreement. It is just that in the end we saw it as a toss up. 

When we ran the choice by the head judge, he had no problem with our decision. 

Dak

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 6:10 PM, Dakimbrell said:

....two equally good models, both with equal, but different flaws. It is impossible to explain your choice to someone.

Actually, you have to be able to explain your choice to someone ... the head category judge, for example.  I offer that no two models are equal and that an experienced judge can note and cite differences between them.  I have yet to see the perfect model.

The challenge is not, IMHO, when discriminating between two very good models, but between 2 or 3 or 4 models with multiple problems.  The best of best is relatively easy, the best of the worst is tough.

9 hours ago, Highlander said:

Actually, you have to be able to explain your choice to someone ... the head category judge, for example.  I offer that no two models are equal and that an experienced judge can note and cite differences between them.  I have yet to see the perfect model.

The challenge is not, IMHO, when discriminating between two very good models, but between 2 or 3 or 4 models with multiple problems.  The best of best is relatively easy, the best of the worst is tough. 

David,

I don't disagree with you basic remarks, but I was speaking in more general terms. Explaining it to a head judge is easy, because he is experienced and understands your reasoning. Explaining it to an angry, self-absorbed, belligerent, contestant is a different matter. "That doesn't matter" is their favorite phrase. Unpainted plastic, it doesn't matter. Crooked parts, that shouldn't matter. They often start extolling how the model we didn't like won numerous awards at other contests all the time ignoring the words "other contests".On the other end, explaining why three guys picked the Ferrari over the Mustang to a hard core Mustang guy is a headache. Telling a modeler you bumped him down because of a small fleck of hard to see dust is ridiculous.

I have lots of friends who look at my stuff long before it gets to a contest. They are more than willing to point out all the problems in extreme detail. If it is something I can fix, I will, but if it is unfixable without rebuilding the model, I will take the hit and just accept it. I simply don't want to hear what the judges thought, because form past experience, they will not help me and I don't really think they help anyone else. There are countless sites and magazines showing of models and techniques which show what most consider good models. Why does anyone need to ask a contest judge after the event?

Dak