Su-22M4 "Fitter K"

Scooter

Finished my Su-22M4 "Fitter K" tonight. It's the Pantera 1/72 kit, build OOB with some minor additions.

Overall, the kit is OK, and needs some work, but it builds up as a fairly accurate representation of the "K". Depicted is a Fitter K of the East German AF ca. 1987.

From a learning standpoint, I enjoyed it, but I'm glad its completed. Various pictures below;

Cheers!

Su-22M-4FitterKfrontupper.jpg

Su-22M-4FitterKStbdfrontqtr.jpg

Su-22M-4FitterKStbdrearqtr.jpg

Su-22M-4FitterKportfrontqtrwide.jpg

Su-22M-4FitterKStbdfrontqtrwide3.jpg

Nice job on a really cool aircraft. I like the camo did you hand paint it? Did one of these a few years back, it was a two seater in Polish markings. The camo pattern is so tight its almost imposible to mask and airbrush. Looks like the canopy could have used a coat of future to clear it up. I just started using it for that and it really does work. Great job. Thanks for sharing it.

Chris

Nice job on a really cool aircraft. I like the camo did you hand paint it? Did one of these a few years back, it was a two seater in Polish markings. The camo pattern is so tight its almost imposible to mask and airbrush. Looks like the canopy could have used a coat of future to clear it up. I just started using it for that and it really does work. Great job. Thanks for sharing it.

Chris

Thank you. It was fun build of something a little off the mainstream, and now I am done with Su-22s for a while!

To answer your questions: Its all airbrushed using liquid Maskol to create most of the pattern. Dry brushing for weathering and scratches, and the whole machine sanded with 3800 to scuff the paint and hard edges. I noticed last night that one Atoll is a little off direction... will fix. Anyway, the canopy was very badly marked on one panel when OOB. The photo somewhat does not do the canpy justice (camera focus), but I actually don't use Future, I apply WD-40 with a Q-tip. A WD-40 shine on the "glass" really looks great!