2019 Convention updates

All,

While we've been quiet on the website front, we have been very busy behind the scenes.  

Registration is now live.  We have a link to the IPMS store shopping cart for on-line registration, and we have a fillable PDF downloadable for those who prefer to register by mail.  Model registration will follow later.

We've announced two off site events.  One is a tour to the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville AL, the other is a BBQ dinner at the Songbirds Guitar Museum in Chattanooga.  Both of these will be excellent activities.  Check the site for more info on both.

We've got a list of vendors who have reserved tables posted.  It's a MONSTER list and it's turning into a historic vendor hall.  The current record for vendor tables at a Nats is 424 in Atlanta in 2005.  We currently have 431 tables reserved.  With 5 months to go before the convention, even with some drop outs we really like our chances for setting a record for number of vendor tables.

In a huge change from past conventions, we are going without a banquet.  See the website for more details, but we're going to have a $5 desert reception to be followed by the awards. We should have seating for over 1000 for the reception and awards, and we're really hoping to have a huge party to wrap up this year's convention.

We also have a rather extensive list of seminars that we're working on.  Topics and presenters are currently listed on the website, and a schedule will follow soon.

Finally, for now, we are really trying to emphasize display only models.  We want to see as many as folks are willing to bring.  Again, see the website for details.

Any questions?  Let me know.  My email is on the Home page of the Convention Website!

Thanks

Mike Moore

2019 Convention Chairman

• Thanks 1

In a counterpoint to Robert; I'm going to miss having the banquet. I always enjoy the banquet.

Then again, I may not be going anyway so that's a moot point.

This sounds like it's shaping up to be quite the event. I sure hope I can make it.

Duke, I sure hope you're  able to make it.  I'll give you room for more display models than you had last year if you do!  As for the banquet, while we may be forgoing the dinner, we think the desert reception makes a great opportunity to get together with everyone at the end of the convention, and since it doesn't cost a small fortune, we're hoping EVERYONE makes it and makes it a great party to wrap up on.

Mike

Mike I thank you. I have several jobs in the queue which; if I get them all and finish them in time, will make it easy enough for me to attend. As for the collection; as mentioned, I'll probably only be able to bring 750 armor, if I can work out the logistics. 800 armor models is just a bit too much to try and finish in the remaining amount of time.  It's a long drive from California and afterward I want to attend my nephew's wedding in Columbus, Ohio the following weekend. I'd prefer to have a co-driver; and I also will need a bigger vehicle than I had before. Working out the details with a co-driver will be difficult with the side trip afterwards to Ohio. The drive home from there will be a big issue too.

So much to work out.

So, if you're a faithful man, and you want my collection there badly enough; say some prayers that everything works out well enough.

BTW, Thanks for posting my Phoenix collection display in your newsletter. Great job getting it all in too.

Like I said Duke, I really hope you'll be able to make it, so we'll start praying out here!

Mike

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MRechlicz said:

Mike,

I am getting a 404 error when I try to look at the vendor layout.

Mike

Not sure what’s wrong there. I’ve got a message in to our web guru to see if we can’t get that sorted out. Thanks for the heads up!

Mike

17 hours ago, MRechlicz said:

Mike,

I am getting a 404 error when I try to look at the vendor layout.

Mike

Should be all fixed now.

Mike

With no banquet being planned, will there be a listing of restaurants close to the facility, or within short driving distance?

Looking forward to coming up to see you folks!!

Doug 

1 hour ago, dhamilton said:

With no banquet being planned, will there be a listing of restaurants close to the facility, or within short driving distance?

Looking forward to coming up to see you folks!!

Doug 

Hi Doug,

We can absolutely do that.  To be honest the variety of restaurants within 3/4 of a mile of the convention center is so broad that we hadn't even thought of putting up a list, but it's not a bad idea at all.  I really think that within a comfortable walk, drive, trip on the free shuttle or Uber/Lyft ride everyone will be able to find a place that fits their taste and budget.

We have lots of things to work on in the near term, but look for some restaurant listings on the convention web site at some point.

Mike