h34mech

h34mech

As the name implies when in the Marines in the very early 60s I was a mechanic on the UH-34 helicopter. I also love the F4U Corsair. Just got back into modeling after many years. I have to say it has come along way from the old wooden models I built in the late 40's

Welcome Robert! You're right in that the plastic models have gotten much better (and expensive) than back in the "good old days"; but the goal is still to have FUN!! Dive in and make yourself at home!

GIL :cool:

Welcome to IPMS/USA!

You mentioned having been a mech on USMC H-34's in the early 1960's.  Did that perhaps include the USMC H-34 squadron TDY at Danang in 1963?  Our C-123 squadron was there on the other side of the runway,  on a temporary duty six month "Joint Training Exercise" from Pope AFB NC.  At the time we joked that our "joint training" was mainly providing live targets for VC practice AAA ....and at low altitude and about the world's slowest airplane to shoot at, they still had trouble hitting anything.  But as we all know they got better, so the "joint training" must have been effective. 

1USMCH34.jpg

me.-123.go-to-hell-hat.guns.SMALL.jpg

• Like 1