Harry and the Hendersons

Roktman

I have to say that this movie is in my top ten of favs.   The roll of Harry was played by Kevin Peter Hall, a 6'9" actor whose other character of note was The Predator.

Our kit comes in 2 pieces- the bust and the base.
IMG_3414.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

Molded and casted by Gillman Productions, there is only the smallest of evidence of a seamline across the back of Harry's head. There were no obvious bubbles anywhere on the kit. On the bottom of the base, sculptor Mark Van Tine was kind enough to give me an autograph, along with a little  illustration. 🙂

The only negative on the kit was the build in rod to hold the bust to the base somehow got curved backward. So it couldn't just sit without falling over backward.  No big deal a brass tube/rod or wooden dowel easily solves the problem.

I primed the bust in the tan Stynylrez primer, and then set out to paint the figure. While Harry shows a lot of gray hair, I started off, as usual, with a dark brown. In the pic you can also see I started the lighter first highlight. The teeth was painted with Army Painters Skeleton Bone. This is close to both V's Dark Sand, and Iraqi Sand - it falls in between actually so if one is too dark and the other too light I have my remedy.
IMG_3417.jpg

While that was drying I turned my attention to the base. I knew I wanted to paint the name with the multi color look and I found an example where they used just red and yellow. But first I painted the rock V Gray Black. Sculpted in the flat part there are some leaves, a fern and some twigs. Here you see the leaves and the fern painted.
IMG_3418.jpg

Turning back to Harry, I finished off the first highlight, and then turned to the eyes. All evidence said Harry's eyes were blue, so I started with an Azure circle for the irises. The lines of light and dark blue, and finally a black pupil completed the eyes.  I also washed the mouth in Citadel's Reikland Fleshshade, and then highlighted in Ivory. In all the pics, Harry has quite the bright smile.
IMG_3419.jpg

This session, the most obvious change is all the gray hair Harry has. It was actually a surprise how much there was in the mustache area.
Next I added a little more dimension to the exposed skin. IIRC I remember added two more levels of highlight.
Then final step was attaching it to the base. Rather than go out and look for a brass/plastic rod, I filled the hole in the bottom of Harry with Aves, and then when dry drilled out both Harry and the base. The rod I had was superglued, and held in place until dry.
Finally he was finished. Thanks for looking.
IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dmorrissette said:

Love the Gillman. Great paint job

Dave

Can't argue with that. 🙂 The Gillman/Van Tine team are the Lennon/McCartney of clay and resin.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...