OFFICIAL IPMS/USA SURVEY

Rusty White

8 minutes ago, ipmsusa2 said:

True, but it is getting a little heated.  Since it'll take around ten years to implement any major changes on the Nationals level, we have plenty of time for everyone to have a say, don't you think?

Oh sure. I was just taking my turn, and was just hoping that my opinion would matter just as much as anyone else's. 😃 

The fact you put out a ballot seems like now was the time.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sharkinman44 said:

Oh sure. I was just taking my turn, and was just hoping that my opinion would matter just as much as anyone else's. 😃 

Don''t misunderstand me.  Your opinion matters just as much as anyone else's and is also wanted as much as anyone else's.  But since we're discussing a subject that is anywhere from important to extremely important to a great many members, sometime we all tend to get a little hot. Just sayin'.

3 minutes ago, Nick Filippone said:

I am not sure where the “Ten Year Rule”  came from ( Chairman Mao?), but if so we are all going to be either dead or senile, and it isn’t going to matter! Cheers. Nick

Point taken!  Actually, the ten year comment was more or less tongue in cheek.  But the simple fact is that any kind of wholesale...or even semisale...change in Nationals contest judging/awards won't be done overnight.  More like two or three years at the very least.  It all depends on exactly what is decided on.  As for me, I don't have a dog in this hunt since I probably won't be around when this is all decided...if it ever is.  Anyway, if I don't make San Marcos, I will have no chance of attending any future Nationals.

1 hour ago, sharkinman44 said:
2 hours ago, Dakimbrell said:

Perhaps, but a vast majority of the membership, I imagine, have not been judges at the National level.

It is not so much an attitude as perspective. If you judge as many contests as I have, you develop an understanding for the methodology involved. Those who have never judged have lots of ideas about how things should work. However, they do not realize some things have been tried in the past, or always grasp the logistics involved in implementing a new method. This does not mean they are wrong, just hat there is a bigger picture which needs to be considered.

Trying to change the judging methods for the National are tricky and risky. If done wrong, it costs the host chapter both reputation and money. The contest is critical to a National convention. If it goes well, many other problems can be forgiven.

When you have a category with 30 or more very good entries and must pick only 3 as winners, you start wishing more awards were available.

Dak

My 2 cents on the issue, and that's all it's worth.  My most optimistic guess for implementation of an open judging system IMHO would be six to eight years.   That is IF a majority of the membership want a change, and that is a big IF.  Two years hard work by a committee to write up a formal proposal for the system and present it to the membership and E-board.  One year to take suggestions and proposed changes.  Three years to educate the membership, try it out at regionals, make proposed changes, train judges, and test the awards ceremony.  One year to build a computer database and adopt a new record keeping system for the award tabulators while more regional trials continue and changes made.  One year to educate the judges and membership.

After all this (and I'm sure I overlooked many things here) the E-board will still need to offer a guaranteed profit to any clubs bidding on the convention the system will be used at the first nats to encourage bidding.  And that's just the beginning.  Fred is right.  Many of us may not be around to see the new system implemented and it will cost the Society some bucks to get done,  but I hope we are all considering the future of the Society. 

Some membership numbers for context.  

The current paid membership is 4045 (give or take).   There were about 950 registered attendees at the Chattanooga show.   This includes international members (Canada; UK, Argentina, Venezuela, etc) whose membership is reciprocal with the US organization.  

That is less than 25% of the membership participated in the show.   There is a lesser percentage who actually entered the competition.  

Of course, this only reflects part of the reality. Some, like myself, attend only every couple of years. Location also changes the people who attend. For example, I plan on going to San Marcos because it is relatively close. 

My pount being that while the attendance at a specific National may be only a fourth of the membership, those who actually attend the events may be a good bit more, when viewed as part of a big picture.

Dak

Archived